Ladder/Stair Pads - do you use one?

do you use a step/stair pad?

• Total voters

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
Curious how many actually use these things. I bought one for the new steps, but after I lifted the small one I had under the "included" ladder (that didn't actually even fit the ladder) it was kind of gross and slimy under there. I am a little concerned about using the larger one I bought for the new steps.

hmm, there is an option for doing polls but I don't see how it is implemented...oh well tell me about your step pad or lack thereof, please.

edit - I see the poll gets added after you submit the post. sorry for any confusion (beyond my own LOL)

Last edited:
Hello Pv2! Hope you're having a great evening! :mrgreen:

I don't use a pad under my steps. My steps have 4 little feet on them that keep the whole steps up off my liner except for where the feet are and they are slatted so water goes through. I haven't had an issue with them breeding algae. Sure they get a little dirty but I move them and brush under them and move back to where they were.

Once I get my deck on, I will have those weighted bleach bottles on the inside of the steps. It was cold when I put those in so I just hooked them on with the bungee cords. :lol:

For our 14x42 the ladder has hard rubber feet. With sharp edges. I cut the edges...but still was worried since two girls in/out.....in/out.
So I bought two bath tub anti slip mats with the suctions cups and both legs sit on each.

I was wondering this myself, I have a vinyl liner and I was worried the stairs may cause a rip in the liner over time (I have two boys coming in and out of the pool). I have them anchored to the deck, but the bottom still moves a tiny bit as people climb in and out and I am afraid it will cause wear and tear?

Once I get my deck on, I will have those weighted bleach bottles on the inside of the steps. It was cold when I put those in so I just hooked them on with the bungee cords. :lol:
Why have you used bottles instead of filling the steps with sand as recommended per manufacturer? Is it better the way you did it?

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering this myself, I have a vinyl liner and I was worried the stairs may cause a rip in the liner over time (I have two boys coming in and out of the pool). I have them anchored to the deck, but the bottom still moves a tiny bit as people climb in and out and I am afraid it will cause wear and tear?
I did bought one with my stairs. Like you said I'm afraid the stairs will tear the linear from moving left and right

Thanks all! I guess since I bought the stupid thing I will try it out (when I move the steps, right now they are still tied to my...uh..."entry system" LOL. - This consists of a ground set of masonry scaffolding positioned with a short side just against the pool, one side open and the "X" brace side topped with a 2x4 so nobody trips up over the brace. Then the ladder part of an old set of pool steps braced against that and all of it tied with baling twine to the inside ladder.

Casey - like you, I have a jug full of sand/gravel and water to hold the stairs down. I intend to hang a few of them on the inside as well. I am curious if your stairs really stay in place well with multiple jugs and no "anchor" ties or other attachments to the pool wall or decking? that would be great, and much easier to deal with cleaning. I saw no reason to try and put sand inside my pool step frame. that sounded like a huge disaster. removable weights are the way to go!

I did make the mistake of leaving the stairs in over the winter and that was a mess. Birds made a lot of "deposits" at that location, trying to get water out of the area.

kyles974 - the suction cup pad sounds like a good way to keep it from slipping around.

JenMichelle - I can tell you that 20 years ago I had a cheap ABG pool from Sears that came with a painted metal ladder. It had a bolted on base that was made of wood. The bolts eventually rusted/corroded enough that I did get a hole in the bottom of the pool - easily patched and never another after switching to a plastic set at the 7 or 10 year point. I don't think they had stair pads back in those days. Heck the internet was barely there. Anyway I wouldn't worry too much either way. Get a pad if you have the spare money - don't worry if you don't.

Pysiek - using removable weights makes it easier to get the steps out of the pool for whatever reason. 3 or 4 10 to 20 lb jugs or other containers vs a 100 lb or more large ladder. If you take it out for storage every winter and then move it someplace like a basement or garage that makes a big chore.

Pysiek - using removable weights makes it easier to get the steps out of the pool for whatever reason. 3 or 4 10 to 20 lb jugs or other containers vs a 100 lb or more large ladder. If you take it out for storage every winter and then move it someplace like a basement or garage that makes a big chore.
It looks like instead of throwing those bleach bottles away I will need to save some :)

I have sand in the steps and I hate them filled with sand!!! I regret it because they are sooooo heavy that when we took them out last year, the steps busted apart as they hit the ground. I would rather weight then down than follow manufacturers directions and STILL have them float! They seem pretty stable with the bottles and once I get my deck on, I will put them on the inside of the steps.

I have sand in the steps and I hate them filled with sand!!! I regret it because they are sooooo heavy that when we took them out last year, the steps busted apart as they hit the ground. I would rather weight then down than follow manufacturers directions and STILL have them float! They seem pretty stable with the bottles and once I get my deck on, I will put them on the inside of the steps.
Thanks Casey. I'm glad I did find out about the bottles. I'm going to install my steps before this weekend. Started slamming the pool last night and already have 3 bottles :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have two sets of steps and pads under both. I moved the oldest pad recently and there was nothing under it. I use them so that I feel better... I'm a worrier. One set of steps is filled with water. The other set, I just put an old 10 lb weigh behind it and a big brick is on the bottom step. I intended to move the brick to the intended location behind the steps but the five year old uses it so I left it. I covered it so that it doesn't accidentally damage the liner.

Last year, my girlfriend n I took a drill n drilled holes into the steps n flushed all that sand out of them. It was ridiculous n so glad we did it. I'm using 8 bleach bottles of sand and bungee cords to hold the bottles in place under my steps. Then, I attach my steps to my top rail using bungee cords. I will take a pic of my set up tomorrow before I lay out. It's a great way for me to keep the steps secured yet I can move them by unhooking the cords.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.