where should I cut the PVC to replace pump?

hanesian

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 10, 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
OK, I will be replacing my current non-fucntioning pump with a new one, and would appreciate opinions from the peanut gallery as to where to best cut the existing plumbing. I have an idea but would like to hear other opinions before marching ahead. Here are photos of the plumbing going into the existing pump.

photo4_zpsf2733d12.jpg

Do you think the diagonal travel offset line would be the best place, as highlighted below?

photo3_zps6fc0fca1.jpg

I've done pvc plumbng work before, but not often involving a choice of locations to cut, so suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

The section you are pointing at in picture 2 looks like it would have the most available gluing surface, though I would cut flush with the sweep elbow closest to the valves, add a union and go from there.

I would cut back between the four way fitting and the first 45.

Cutting as shown in your photo probably won't allow you to get the pump in exactly the same place it is now. My suggestion will allow the pump to be in the exact same location, just with the 45 section a little closer to the 4 way fitting.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it!

As a relatively inexperienced PVC guy, I'm trying to understand how I could install a union between the 4 way fitting and that first 45 section, much less move the first 45 closer to the 4 way fitting. I currently have only about 2" of clear pipe showing between that 4 way and the 45 fittings, and best I can determine it looks like a union joint fitting is about 3 1/2" wide, not to mention the unknown width of the adapter fittings for the pipe ends leading into the union. Wouldn't this push the first 45 further away from the 4 way, and make it harder to keep the same pump position? :confused:

I'm probably asking a really stupid question as my PVC experience is more oriented to gluing and fitting pieces together but not planing out the layout, so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

Would you mind elaborating in more detail of the process for this Pooh of very little brain? :confused:

Thanks again!

If you want a union, here is how I would do it: Start at the four way fitting, cut the pipe that is sticking out near the 45 degree fitting. Attach a new 45 degree fitting, a short section of pipe, the union, another short section of pipe, another 45, and a final short section of pipe leading to the pump.

The new 45 is closer to the four way fitting, the straight section between the two 45s has room for the union, and the pipe from the final 45 to the pump is now slightly longer than it used to be.

As always, measure several times, cut once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you to all who offered suggestions and opinions. Much appreciated!

I now understand I have several viable options, so I'll figure out one and adjust if needed.

Thanks again! What a great resource this site is. Once I get through this project and have a minute I'll be upgrading to a paid supporter. Totally worth it!

Just circling back to report final results and thank everyone who offered help again. I ended up going with the two 90's for simplicity's sake, and as discussed added a union near the pump to make future work easier.

Success!

photo (5).jpg

May not win any awards, but it works! (ignore my work glove lying on the 4 way)

Thanks again!

I got most of it done during lulls in the rain, or during a couple of short intervals of sprinkles!

Need to get this pump working/pool open before it warms up too much and algae starts growing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.