Surface Scum

OK guys, I slammed the pool for 3 days and held FC at over 25 with CYA at 50. I passed an OCLT with FC=26 ppm, virtually no loss of chlorine and no detectable CC, water crystal clear. Yet, the snow flake-like particles are still on the surface, see 2 pics below. They are not as large, but are still there even after filtering. This stuff sure fits the description of white tissue mold, but I can't imagine anything organic living in that environment. Is it possible the mold is dead and this is just dead organic matter left on the surface? If so, I would have thought the filtration process would have captured it. I have some skimmer socks on order and will try those this week. Without the pump running it is pretty noticeable on a still surface. Am I being too critical and is this normal surface matter for most owners?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 66
Am I being too critical and is this normal surface matter for most owners?
Yes and yes.

The primary reason we ask for a members location is to solve issues like these. If we know you experiencing a "local" condition, others around you can help.

My pool has been covered with what looks like the same material as you for about 7-10 days now. It is something coming off the trees around my pool and will go away as soon as the trees stop producing that particular material.

So no worries if you live any where in my region......disregard what I am saying if you live in Anchorage! :D

Scott, please add your location to your profile and create a sig. Just go up to "settings" and then scroll down to edit profile & edit sig. It will help us help you.

OP stated that location is Bluffton, SC and pool is screen enclosed.

If you have a sand filter, maybe it is channeled and debris is passing straight thru?

Have you checked behind lights/ladders nooks and crannies for anything hiding?

What test kit are you using? (sorry if I missed it)

Where do you normally keep the pH and how often do you test it?

Butterfly, thanks for the guidance. I updated my profile to include location: Bluffton, SC very near Hilton Head. See signature below for equipment and pool info.

My pool is screen enclosed. I have a Pentair Triton II TR-60 sand filter, 4 years old. I backflush pretty regularly when I see the pressure reading getting over 16 psi. Clean reading is around 10 psi.

I never noted the originally installed reading...guessing it was around 8 psi or so. I really don't need to backflush that often since the pool is screen enclosed. I have no ladders or nooks in the pool. I pulled the light niche...it was perfectly clean, no algae or scum.

I am using an older Taylor K-2005 test kit augmented with a K-1515 FAS-DPD kit. I check chemistry every week and usually keep pH around 7.6-7.8, but it got up to 8.0 2 weeks ago so I used some dry acid to get it back to 7.5. TA is around 100, FC is currently at 12 (still coming down from the SLAM), CC is 0, CH is 275, CYA is 45, and the water is crystal clear.

I have never chemically cleaned the filter. Based on this info do you think I should chemically clean the filter or open it? Never had it open so I'm not sure of the procedure other than turn off pump and secure breaker then use the spanner wrench that came with the filter.

I could use some guidance on what to look for. I appreciate the help...you guys are all superb and this site is the best I have ever found. I use it all the time, especially the pool calculator for all my chemical treatments. Thanks!

You're welcome :D

I suggest deep cleaning the filter. If you have any questions, post back & someone should be around to help.

Here's the link w/detail and pics : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

Go easy in there and let us know what you find!

btw, you should backwash when the psi increases 25% over clean psi. So, you should backwash when you hit 12 or 13 :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info, I'm going to do this. One question: I have a Pentair Triton II TR-60 sand filter with multi-port plumbed to the side of the filter. When I clean with the garden hose should I have the multi-port valve set to Closed position so that no gunk can back up into the valve through the diffuser?

If it's pollen like I think it is, the problem certainly looks worse than it really is.

Normal dirt hits the surface and eventually sinks to the bottom.

Pollen is so small and light that it doesn't break the surface tension, it stays on top of the water. There it just "floats" around and joins up with more pollen forming those snowflake like structures. Once the skimmer gets hold of it and it gets mixed in the water you wouldn't even see it.

It's about the same size as DE (10-100 µm) and has the same filtering aid effect that DE does, until it's backwashed out of course.

If your filter hasn't been deep cleaned for more than one season, it's surely worth the extra time just for the peace of mind alone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.