Flying Red ants and biting water bugs!!!!Help

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
So has anyone ever had a problem with flying red ants committing mass suicide in your pool? I literally have hundreds of these things in my pool dying every 30minutes. I scoop them out, kill them turn around and the pool is full of them again..... :rant: What is going on???

Also we had 2 water bugs with the 2 legs swimming around in the pool....where did they migrate from? I don't have any water close to me. Anyway those little buggers bite, they took a big chunk of skin off my daughters hand when she tried to scoop it out with her hand. Why can't the bugs and critters just migrate to another sippy hole :roll:

I think the biting bugs are backswimmers, do a search. Try Borates to reduce them, they don't seem to like borates.

The ants - look around for a nest nearby....I get them, but not in those numbers. It might be a regional/cyclical thing. A few years back the japanese beatles were soooo bad. Then a year later is was those look alike ladybugs, the orange ones. THOUSANDS of them. Ick.

I've notice a ton of those flying ants in our pool this year too. Never noticed them in previous years. Evidently they are attracted to the pool, land on the water and are unable to fly away (or they are suicide bombers :super:). I also wake up every morning to check the skimmers and find at least 1 and sometimes 3 or 4 dead frogs. Those buggers just never learn.

My solution: I'm having an auto-cover installed on Thursday. I've had one for years but have had to have the cover replaced this year due to the snow load from a VERY rough winter here in Chicago area last year. We have it mainly for safety reasons as we have young toddlers but side benefits are great in terms of practically eliminating critters in the pool, far less chlorine loss and keeps the water warm much longer during cold nights.

We have the flying ants too and the occasional backswimmer. I try to scoop the ants out as soon as I see them and without something to eat the backswimmer will eventually go away. If he don't, I'll catch him too! :hammer:

Those backswimmer things are terrible! My daughter had a huge chunk bitten out of her hand while in the pool so I guess the bugger found something to eat. I'm gonna research them more. We only had just the one. The ant thing is ridiculous though, I can't find a nest anywhere :roll:

Yeah the frog thing is perpetual.

I definetely need a safety cover too....my 2 year old has already been found in the water under :shock: :shock: :shock: Yeah that was a nice 3 hour trip to the er to make sure he was ok. But the cover would be nice to keep the bugs out too.

I get those flying red ants too. But not what you're describing! As for those backswimmers. They suck, I have only had 4 or 5 and I have caught them and squished them :) the last one I caught jumped out of the net before I could squash him with my beer bottle. But I got to watch it die a slow death by the ants! That was cool!! :twisted:

I have a 2 1/2 yr old and she is not scared of the water at all! We make sure the outside ladder is taken down and locked away when not in use. If it is on there, she will be in the water. My 4 yr old, you couldn't pry him off the steps with a crow bar,LOL he won't go in no matter what! I will be so glad when my 2 youngest can swim.

I feel your pain with the ants. I sprayed soap and water on some. It killed the aints fast enough but i ended up with soap bubbles in the pool. LOL Anyone with a better idea please help us non ant lovers and out pools!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The ants are taking flight to search for a place to start new colonies. You must have an ant mound close by. Also, Termites do the same thing, they take flight a couple times of year to try and establish new colonies. We have an environmental friendly ant control device. :lol:

Hi! I have the same issue with the ants and occasional backswimmer. I just added Bioguard Backup Algaecide that people from as far as Australia recommended to kill those bugs. They are dying faster! After adding the bottle they say add 1/4 cup weekly. Only thing that seems to work!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.