What's the best pump on the market now ?

Apr 1, 2014
Hi everyone.....
I'm looking to replace my Hayward VSP pump. It's about 2 years old...on the beginning was nice and quiet but not anymore for some reasons. It works fine but I think I could also use some more suction. My question is what's the best pump right now to buy ? What pump would be better and more quiet ? Thank you for all advice.

If your pump is running there isn't any reason to replace it. If you are having a problem it is probably something other than the pump. Any variable speed pump run on low speed is about as quiet as you are going to get. Could you describe what it is that is going wrong?

Thank you JasonLion....The main reason I was thinking about the replacement is because the pump become noisy. I'm not exactly sure why but I remember when it was new it was much more quiet. I also could use some more suction I think....another problem with the pump is that in the last few weeks the pump stopped few times showing Error - Pump stalled. After turning the power off and on it started working again but I think this may be a sign of a future bigger problem. Another think not sure why but I replaced the lid twice already which is around $60 because was cracked.....

That kind of sounds like a bearing problem, though I can't be sure. The bearings can be replaced for much less than the cost of a new pump, though it is a mildly complex replacement process. Bad bearings would cause extra noise and could cause the pump stalled error as well.

There is no clearly "best" pump, rather several contenders that have an assortment of pros and cons.

For variable speed pumps there are larger models which have better efficiency and more flexible automation, but tend to be fairly expensive. Of these the Hayward EcoStar seems to be the most efficient of the ones we have a lot of experience with. However, in this class you want to match the brand of pump with your brand of automation system, and that is a larger factor than the other points if you have an automation system. The Pentair IntelliFlo is also worth mentioning, as it has been around the longest and is very popular.

There are also smaller variable speeds, distinguished by having smaller max HP, much less automation compatibility, and lower prices. All of these models are fairly new and little is known about their long term reliability. Some notable pumps in this category include the Hayward MaxFlo VS and Pentair SuperFlo VS.

Finally, there are a couple of variable speed motors that can be attached to existing pumps. These are much more of a DIY prospect that the VS pumps, and are also quite new so little is yet known about them. Some of them have very attractive pricing, so this may develop into a significant area, but for now is too new to be recommended.

Thank you JasonLion. The system I have is Hayward ProLogic.
Now I have to find out what is the reason that my pump stopped working. I just changed the breaker but it does the same....trips the breaker as soon as I switch to on position. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.