Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    68

    TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    My new TF-100 arrived today and I tested the water. Now, I have a few questions about the results. First, here are the results:

    FC - 2.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 2.5
    pH - 7.7
    TA - 260 (tested twice)
    CH - 370
    CYA - 35 (maybe 40...darn black dot)


    My questions are...

    a) Should I shock even though the CC is 0? According to Jason's calculator, normal FC levels should be between 3 and 7.

    b) Why would my TA shoot up so quickly and is it a problem? I've had the water tested at the pool store pretty regularly and it's always been in the low 100's. Late last week I dropped the pH to about 7.2 and aerated to lower it, but I never tested it again until today.
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

  2. Back To Top    #2
    revstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    117

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    According to the CYA / FC chart:
    category/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

    you are right around the minimum FC that you should have. As for shock, with zero CC, I see no reason to shock unless there's something other than the numbers (cloudy, or discolored water for instance).

    I have no idea about your TA, but that is high.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Here is a post by duraleigh about some of the tips. See if you have this situation, and, if you do, Dave will correct it for you!

    to-all-tf-100-purchasers-since-june-1-2008-t7515.html?hilit=tips
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    68

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Here is a post by duraleigh about some of the tips. See if you have this situation, and, if you do, Dave will correct it for you!

    to-all-tf-100-purchasers-since-june-1-2008-t7515.html?hilit=tips
    I was just reading that thread and I do think I have a bad tip. It was difficult to get the drops to come out one at a time. I would squeeze very softly and two drops would come out very quickly. I will shoot Dave an email.
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by h2o
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Here is a post by duraleigh about some of the tips. See if you have this situation, and, if you do, Dave will correct it for you!

    to-all-tf-100-purchasers-since-june-1-2008-t7515.html?hilit=tips
    I was just reading that thread and I do think I have a bad tip. It was difficult to get the drops to come out one at a time. I would squeeze very softly and two drops would come out very quickly. I will shoot Dave an email.
    Try wiping the tip with a damp cloth before you use it. Seems to be a static issue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  6. Back To Top    #6
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    The darn black dot....

    maybe this will help. Scroll down and see the pics.....

    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    68

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    The darn black dot....

    maybe this will help. Scroll down and see the pics.....

    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44
    Thanks for the link, that helps. I would have to say my CYA was closer to 40 then.
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    68

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Okay, so I went home yesterday and re-tested the TA. I wiped the tip of the R-0009 reagent with a damp paper towel before I used it and it worked perfectly. My TA was actually only 100.

    Thanks for all of the responses!
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: TF-100 Arrived Today - Have Some Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o
    Quote Originally Posted by jjparrish
    Here is a post by duraleigh about some of the tips. See if you have this situation, and, if you do, Dave will correct it for you!

    to-all-tf-100-purchasers-since-june-1-2008-t7515.html?hilit=tips
    I was just reading that thread and I do think I have a bad tip. It was difficult to get the drops to come out one at a time. I would squeeze very softly and two drops would come out very quickly. I will shoot Dave an email.
    Try wiping the tip with a damp cloth before you use it. Seems to be a static issue.
    Thanks for the correction, JT. I should have referred to this post by duraleigh: possible-clue-for-dropper-tip-issues-t7645.html?hilit=tips
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •