Gold Supporter
Oct 13, 2013
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
FC 14.5
CC 0
TA 130
pH 7.5
CYA 60

All results from tonight except CYA which was from one week ago. We had a LOT of rain today.....would that affect the CYA level that I should retest after just one week?

SWG is reading 2700 and I had the pump runnung 24/7 and SWG at 50%. My FC level has been going up every day so tonight I turned it back to 20%. Is that the best way to lower the chlorine level? I was surprised after all the rain we had today that tge CL is so much higher than it was 24 hours ago.

What should I be tackling first based on these results? Thanks a bunch.

Dial back the SWG and keep an eye on it. You want your FC to be around 4 for your SWG.

If you're getting rain and dumping water, I'd check the CYA. I had to dump some water for the second time today in less than 3 days and I lost 15ppm CYA. Just keep an eye on it in this rainy weather. :goodjob:

Since the FC level is determined by how long the pump runs and the SWG output setting, I would think you can cut your pump run time back and see how that works out for the FC level. Then dial back the SWG percent back if you need to, to hit your target FC.
Your CYA level should be in the 70-80 ppm range for a SWG.
For more info take a look at the article in pool school on SWG. ?

So tomorrow I will check the CYA again. Spent most of the last week vacuuming and removing debris from opening. PB recommended backwashing and adding fresh DE after getting all the initial dirt out of pool and we plan to do that this weekend. Then if needed I will add CYA. I think I read somewhere not to backwash after adding CYA. I got the granular so will try the sock method. We also need to add salt. I've been studying pool school etc all winter and still I think it will take awhile to get the hang of everything. Can't wait to actually SWIM in the pool :)

Thanks!

I stocked up on chlorine over the last several weeks and can't believe I didn't need ANY of it to open the pool. It will probably lose it's effectiveness before I can use it. Oh well, live and learn.

Here's a visual of the sock, knee high method of adding CYA. I like using a nylon knee high. Make sure to run your pump until it's all dissolved.
ybuvagej.jpg

Where did you store it fozzie? I keep mine in my dark and cold basement.

Pwrstrk--Great visual of sock/cya, thanks! I was trying to decide how I would do that.....

Casey--Right now it's stored in our garage. We have a cool dark basement...will that help it to last longer? Who knows when I'll actually need it. I got it at Costco, guess I could return it.... hmmmm.

Get it out of the garage and put it in the basement. Heat and sunlight degrade chlorine. I would just use it up. If you're worried about how much it's degraded, use it according to strength with pool math and then test the water to see if you hit the target. :goodjob: But definitely get it in the basement!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.