Can't remove threaded insert in pool skimmer, under basket. Help.

Jul 30, 2013
Hi,

My wife got me a new pool Kreepy Krauly cleaner for my birthday. But to install it, I need to insert a threaded compression adapter into my pool filter.

I never really noticed that where I insert my manual hose, was actually two pieces inserted. It looks like the skimmer has a female thread, and then there is a male screw piece, and then a female piece with a flat area to connect my hose.

Long story short, is I need to get at the original female thread of the skimmer, and the two "inserted" pieces are locked in there. There is no room to insert any tools that I have down there, as the pieces are very close to the wall of the skimmer. Maybe there is a super special long tool that can unscrew the nut???

Until I get this out, I can't install the Kreepy Krawly. I don't think they used teflon tape on anything (the house had a pool when I bought it).

Any ideas?

20140516_195818.jpg

I would try a pair of channel lock pliers, or an adjustable wrench. I've had luck getting those in there at an angle and still getting a bite on something.
If you can't get it out at all, you can always invest in the Vac Plus II plate for the Kreepy Krauly.
This vac plate just assembles onto the top of your skimmer which allows you to keep your baskets inserted. I know back in the day they used to include in the box a rebate for a free vac plate, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.
If you go this route, check the optional accessories in your manual to make sure you order the correct size for your skimmer.

I would try a rubber strap wrench, or a rubber pad used for opening jar lids. I would think you could get loose by hand. Also, add teflon tape when you use the kreepy krauly adapter so that the threads are not as likely to stick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.