Stir my chlorine tank?

BW

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
SF bay area
I have peristaltic pump and 15 gal tank for liquid chlorine. I keep the tank at 8.25% concentration because that's how I usually buy bleach. From time to time I pickup 10% at Home Depot, in which case I add 27oz of water per gallon to get it back to 8.25%. I always assumed it would mix by diffusion, but then I saw the Liquidator floats a layer of water over the bleach. I don't understand how that works, but then the question is do I need to stir my tank after adding 10% and water?

The bleach is heavier than water... when you add bleach to the pool it's best to add it pencil thick over the return because it is heavier. Hope this explains why water would *float* on top. I'm sure if I'm incorrect, I'll be corrected. Lets see how I did... :mrgreen:

Water and bleach will normally mix together, but it is possible to keep them from mixing for fairly long periods of time if you are careful. Still, it doesn't take much to get them to mix throughly, and once mixed they stay mixed. The Liquidator has a special setup to prevent turbulence at the boundary between bleach and water. Without that it is fairly difficult to keep them from mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.