yet another new pool user... i tried.. came close, but failed...

So,

like many others on this forum, bought a new house.. and it came with a pool.

I have owned a spa for the last 4 years, and that, I have mastered extremely well and i learned the hard way that most pool stores are just out to get your money but suckering you with chemicals you don't need.

When I found this site, it was a savior for the pool... I read every article I could find, and I have been trying to turn my pool from a grimey, slimey green pool that smelled like a family of cats died in it to a proper states.

The pool spent the winter season without a cover, and the snow/ice finished melting about 3 ~ 4 weeks ago (very late spring for us this year). Looking at my backyard, you would tell me that I am in the middle of a huge forest, but I am in a city. I have been fighting with the net & vacuum for the last 2 weeks plus, and it feels like i'm winning, but its taking forever.

Add to that, that there are still new houses getting build on my street so its throwing a lot of dust/sand in the air (and inevitably in the pool)

now, the pool is no longer green, and it no longer smells like death, however i cannot see th bottom. The water has a white/greyish cloudyness to it, and that's what I cannot get rid of.

I've been Slamming the poool (at least I think I have) and once... just once I caught a glimmer of the bottom, and was able to vacuum some of the garbage that was stuck down there; but after 10 minutes, the water was all murky again.

1) The size of your pool in gallons: 11000 gallons (
2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) - I have a sand filter
3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) Above ground, 24 feet diameter, 48 inches hight
5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. (i'll go get that in a bit and Edit)

FC - Free Chlorine 9ppm
CC or TC - Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine - No idea... stupid pool place does not test that ( i will be buying the proper test kit )
pH - 7.3 (has been stable - been testing with strips, always in the 'sweet spot'
TA - Total Alkalinity 140ppm
CH - Calcium Hardness 230 ppm
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer/conditioner) 20ppm

Any tips?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You may need to deep clean the sand filter since you don't know how well the filter was maintained before you bought the house. Otherwise keep the FC at 10 as long as possible with frequent additions of bleach and backwash the filter when you get a 20% rise over clean pressure. Keep the filter running 24/7 until the pool is clear. It can take a while to clear a dirty pool. Brush the pool daily to stir up the dead algae so the filter may catch it. You may want to try adding a little DE to the filter so it will catch finer debris. It will backwash out with the dirt so it must be reapplied to continue using it.

You really need the test kit (TF100 XL)! You won't know if you're at SLAM level or not without it.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.