Installing AG pool need advice!!!

Jun 15, 2008
Patterson , LA
Well after three weeks of prepping my pool(30'x54"wall Tahitian AG pool) site and alot of sweat labor our pool arrived yesterday.
I have a major concern on the plumbing of the filter unit to the pool though. There is no specific instructions on this but here is what I have... 1 1/2 HP Sta Rite Mod canister filter and a wide mouth skimmer. The electrical plug for the pump is very short(maybe 3 feet at most). The black hoses that came with it look very cheap and cheesy. Can i use sch 40 PVC instead and bury it? Also how far away can I set the filter unit from the pool?
I am going to be building a 3ft deck all around the pool in the future and would hate for the filter unit to cause problems with that later on.
I also would think that haveing a ball valve in the skimmer and return line would be normal but none came with the set up. Am I thinking right that if you do not install valves then if you ever had problems down the line you would have to drain the water down to make any repairs?
Thanks in advance
RonnieM

I just finished my AGP install and can comment on a few of these questions.

As for the pump cord, 3ft is max length per the electrical code where I live. I also had to use a twist lock outlet. Make sure your outlet is a GFCI. No extension cords allowed (per NEC).

I used Sched 40 PVC for most everything. I feel it will be more reliable than those pool hoses. Yes, it can be buried. But if you live where it can freeze, make sure you put a drain plug in the lowest section. You can have long lengths too (I have over 20 feet to include my solar).

I did not use a valve at the skimmer. My skimmer and return both have NPT threads inside, and I just put in a plug when I want to do maintainance without draining.

Jason M

Thanks for the info.
I have a Nema 3R rated breaker box with 110v 20 amp GFCI breakers that I plan on installing near the pool for power. The 220v breaker in my house is also GFCI that feeds it.
No real freezing problems here in South Louisiana.
I was suprised to see a regular 110v plug on the pump instead of a twist lock. Should I change it out to a twist lock?
I have a digital intermatic timer( P1353ME) that I am going to hook up to the pump to help automate things a bit.

Good pool choice! We installed that exact pool in May.

You may have done a better job of reading the instructions than I did :oops: but in the case that you didn't, the biggest "If I knew then what I know now" for me was not realizing that the v-bead liner could be converted to a slip bead liner. Had I know this I could have set up the entire pool, all the supports, posts, top rails, everything before having to worry about the liner.

Our pool is not perfectly round, the sand under the liner is not perfectly flat, largely due to the fact that the pool walls kept wanting to blow over when we were trying to put the v-bead liner on.

Our pump and filter is sitting about 30' away from the pool using 1 1/2" Sched 40 pvc. It works really well.

Good luck with the install!

Thanks a ton for the tip. So you think it is worth the extra $$ to get the clips to use the liner as a Beaded liner.
I am very nervous about trying to install the wall and liner. Thats one heavy wall box. Do you have any pics of your pool? I would love to see one set up...besides the web sales pics

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The wall is a heavy beast. I used a 3/4" thick piece of plywood with straps hooked onto it to pull the wall around the pool. Me, my wife and our two teenagers were all needed to put the wall up.

The instructions to use the cardboard to move it around were beyond optimistic.

If you buy the beaded liner, the clips come with it.

Good luck! (If you haven't already finished the build :) )
Here is a nearly finished photo from our second story. (a bit more railing and a gate to build yet)
Chloescameraphotosfolkfest2008086.jpg

Here are some build sequence pics.
ThePool010.jpg

ThePool017.jpg

ThePool022.jpg

ThePool024.jpg

ThePool026.jpg

ThePool032.jpg

ThePool033.jpg

If you do not have the ability to install plugs in your skimmer and returns on the fly, installation of ball valves is one of the best decisions you can make during the pool setup process. There are so many things that can go wrong or need maintenance - the valves make it easy to work without water loss. You can purchase them at any home improvement outlet. Good luck and please post pictures - we love them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.