No pool circulation for 80 hrs

Sep 11, 2013
DFW Metroplex
Hello All,

Today during my DE filter cleaning I noticed that 4 of my DE grids has multiple tears and others also in very bad shape, I ordered replacement from amazon and i should get that my late monday 05/19/2014 and I won't be starting my pool pump until 05/20/2014, what are my options here? I don't want to get any algae infestation again:) last November I went through a painful & lengthy slam process to get my pool water right, since then I am following TFP method , water is crystal clear.

My Current reading

FC - 6 ( Every 24 hours add 40 Oz of 8.25% bleach to maintain at 6)
CC - 0.5
CYA - 40
CH - 280
ALK - 65
PH - 7.8

Also my Hayward backwash value is very hard to pull(push pull model -- push&pull) , my spouse has been complaining about it for a while, will I be able to replace to this?

Thanks everyone

I went 2 weeks without a pump in the AZ summer ... dirty pool, but no algae. You just have to keep adequate FC in it and brush to mix. I might suggest raising the FC a little higher than normal since the mixing will not be as good with the brushing.

I once went ten days without a working filter. I dropped my Rule cover pump with a 50' hose by the main drain and left the hose outlet pumping in to the shallow end. Every day or two I moved the hose somewhere else. I ran it 24/7 and no problems. I hate brushing. A submersible sump pump would also work.

I went 2 weeks without a pump in the AZ summer ... dirty pool, but no algae. You just have to keep adequate FC in it and brush to mix. I might suggest raising the FC a little higher than normal since the mixing will not be as good with the brushing.

Thanks Jason, your other post on how to clean a DE filter with lot of great photos is my inspiration for doing this project by myself.

Keep the FC level up and remember circulation beats no circulation, this is what I rigged up when I had suction line / pump problems a couple of years ago using a small diesel 4HP water pump .

attachment.php

I have been suspecting water loss for a while, after making few repairs by myself, I did a test and I lost 5/8 th of an inch in 60 hours (I run pump 10 hours daily). The weather here in Dallas Tx is around high 80's for past three days. I assume I am in the allowed range? Trying to avoid professional leak detection as they charge $450.

I have been suspecting water loss for a while, after making few repairs by myself, I did a test and I lost 5/8 th of an inch in 60 hours (I run pump 10 hours daily). The weather here in Dallas Tx is around high 80's for past three days. I assume I am in the allowed range? Trying to avoid professional leak detection as they charge $450.
If it was windy, that's not unreasonable. The best way to check is to do a bucket test. Fill a plastic bucket with pool water and set it on the steps. Mark the level inside and outside. The water level should drop the same amount over a period of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.