shock in new pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastercaster

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
Leander, TX
we had a new gunite pool installed a month or so ago. when the guy came out for start up, he put in "shock". our pool is a darker grey plaster. now the deep end has a huge white or lighter grey area. could anthing else have caused this other than the shock? thanks for any replies.

During construction water often pools down to the bottom of the deep end. There might have been an acid wash towards the end that would have pooled down there. Shocking the pool with chlorine seems like the most likely cause, but it could have been acid, or any other chemical wash they used after plastering.

It might also be a layer of plaster dust or scale. Have you tried brushing the stained area to see if the color changes at all?

the pool was brushed 5 or 6 times a day for the first three weeks or so. now it is being brushed every day. yes, the pump was on when he broadcast the shock. i was told buy the local pool supply co.that i need to use a quick dissolving shock due to the color of the plaster. is there anything that can be done at this stage to fix the problem? on bright sunny days, you can't even see the difference, but on overcast days, the whiteness really stands out.

MC,
Hopefully your build was a great build and you have a good reputation with your builder. I would suggest setting up a meeting with him/her and discuss options to fix/ rectify the problem. Was the person who started up your pool from an outside company or tied to the builder? It may be necessary to have that person present as well. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.