Pool mom in Alabama

Jul 5, 2008
Hello,

I have been on this site nonstop for the last 4 days trying to eliminate algae and I can finally say I have had a breakthrough this morning! Yipee!!! Ok, enough. We put in our pool ourselves (with the exception of hiring someone to do the "cement stuff" in the bottom last year. What an undertaking!! Nonetheless, after many hot (95 plus) days in the great Alabama sunshine we managed to have water in the pool by mid July. It has been a nonstop project since the beginning which moved into this summer as well with laying pavers in the joints of the cement we had poured (another 7 days in the beautiful Alabama heat!) Anyway, I am looking to finalize all the work and start all the fun soon. I have a husband that works all the time (60 plus hours a week), a teenage son (17) who is never home, and a teenage daughter(19) in college who has recently moved back home, but is always busy with college, work, and boyfriend. I say all that to say I am the pool maintenance person, the only pool maintenance person in this picture so I am thrilled to have found this site and all the help. I cannot express how much help you all have been. I look forward to learning lots and making friends!

Hey pool mom!
I feel your pain!! Being just up the road from you in McCalla, I know where you're coming from. I've been reading, reading, reading on this site for about a month now and am STILL having problems, mainly from a DH who thinks he knows EVERYTHING about pools. (Only this morning I caught him pouring cheap-o Algacide from Sam's in the pool...and this after it took about 10 days to get the foam out of the pool from the last time he poured it in!! :hammer: )
Anyway, just do what these guys tell you, and I feel sure you'll have a great looking pool in no time. (Guess I'm just the exception!)
Roll Tide!!! :-D

Hi Shellmom,
I used to teach school at Vance. I have some of my teacher friends in McCalla. I know you can appreciate the heat we have been having. I have no problem with anyone knowing anything about the pool here except me except how to swim in it!! Anyway, I've been reading and doing what people say and my pool is clearer than it has ever been. Nice to meet you.