Forgot to balance PH before SLAMMING, what should I do?

Apr 1, 2014
Mansfield, OH
All,
I opened my pool and it was dark green and filled with Algea. So, I just installed a new Hayward Sand Filter and new sand and started slamming and forgot to adjust the PH before doing so.
I Started on 05/14/2014. At dusk I poured in 4 gallons of 12% bleach. I tested FC the next night and was at 13.5 and my CC was at 1. Based on my CYA, I need to keep shock at 15. So, I poured in the recommend level of bleach. I've been trying to maintain that level at 15. I tested last night and was good. This morning when I woke up it was at 12.5. So, I poured in 52oz of bleach as recommended by the pool calculator. The pool looks better everyday, but now I notice it's getting cloudy. Is that a good sign or bad? I know PH readings are off if FC is over 10, so I guess I will have to wait before messing with that, correct? Any advice?

If it were my pool, I'd let the FC drop to about 6-8 or so then check pH, adjust, then back to SLAMing. I don't think you'd lose any ground on the SLAM process, just delay it by a few hours. If your pH was high and you lower it to proper levels, your chlorine is more effective (from what I recall in reading/Pool School).

No worries on TA until after you've finished SLAM. Then you can play with that when you get bored.

Since you're not losing much FC daily, you're really not going to set yourself back by allowing the FC to drop to below 10 so you can test pH. I'd still do that and then resume SLAM.

Just updating everyone!
Everyday the pool looks better and better. Last night was the first night I didn't lose any FC, water clarity is improving. I can see the bottom all around pool except for the deep end.
PH testing with FC at 15 is 7.6. So, I'm going to let the FC drop below 10 and test PH later tonight. It's still cold outside here in Ohio, so water temp is very cold. Thank you everyone for all your help.
The nice Taylor testing kit has made things much easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would clear your pool faster if you kept your chlorine up at SLAM value and simply ignore your pH until the SLAM is complete. Either way is Okay but your pH does not need to be retested.

Just checking in. I can now see the main drain and pool is getting clearer everyday. The pool does still have a green tint to it, but water clarity is really improving. FC loss overnight is minimal to none.
I'm trying to be very patient. Thanks for all your help. Still maintaining my shock level at FC 15. Won't stop until I pass all three of the SLAM tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.