New pump size?

May 21, 2012
Bought a used 24 foot round AGP a few years back. its 52 inches high also
Pump already had 5 years on it, so when i went to close pool last fall, it finally gave up.
Well as most of us have experienced, no need to open the pool yet as indiana was 45 degrees this morning.
So looking for a new pump. I know that a two speed would be great but dont know if i can swing it.
Old pump was a 1 1/2 hp.
So my question is, do i really need a 1 1/2 again or can i go lower?
Was looking at the hayward power-flo matrix pump.
Any recommendations ?
Thanks

HP is most always overrated on AG pools. It's best to match your pump to the filter. Can you see a GPM rating on the filter? If not I would suggest no bigger than a 1 hp for that size pool.

I have the 1 HP model of that pump which is uprated, so it's like a 3/4 full-rated pump. I bought it at the beginning of last year and haven't had any issues. It doesn't have a drain on the pump so make sure you drain it when you store it for the winter. Mine is using 1.5" pvc, going through a 21" sand filter, a tablet feeder, and a single 1" return eye. I would prefer a two speed as well but couldn't do that last year so I keep it on a timer and just run it less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.