Test results

May 11, 2014
Bowie, Maryland
I completely drained and refilled the pool from a hose so the water is "fresh". To the eye it's crystal clear. I have a K2006 test kit on the way but in the mean time I took a bottle of water to the local pool store. This is the results and their recommendations. How does this sound?

Results:
PH 7.5
Calcium hardness 90 ppm
Total alkalinity 30 ppm
CYA 10 ppm

Recommended chemicals:
31 lbs total alkalinity
34 lbs calcium hardness
6 lbs stabilizer
Chlorine tabs

Just being Nosy, but why did you drain?

Have you read POOL SCHOOL? Click on the link at the Top of the screen. All sorts of helpful articles.

I'm glad you have a test kit on the way. ;-)

I'd ignore anything they told you. I didn't even verify, its just that after servicing 5 "Pool Stored" pools today... I'm crabby.

I completely drained and refilled the pool from a hose so the water is "fresh". To the eye it's crystal clear. I have a K2006 test kit on the way but in the mean time I took a bottle of water to the local pool store. This is the results and their recommendations. How does this sound?

Results:
PH 7.5
Calcium hardness 90 ppm
Total alkalinity 30 ppm
CYA 10 ppm

Recommended chemicals:
31 lbs total alkalinity
34 lbs calcium hardness
6 lbs stabilizer
Chlorine tabs
It sounds suspicious. Tap water has no CYA in it. How much residual water did you have in the pool after draining it? Must have been a lot to show 10 ppm CYA. pH I'd trust for now. The others? Hmmmm.

TA is just baking soda. Big bags are for sale at Costco. Stabilizer AND chlorine tablets? Both add CYA. You don't want to overdo it. Tablets also lower pH and TA, and you're already low on TA.

You'll need a bunch of CYA. Pool volumes tend to be overstated. Maybe one 4 lb canister of CYA for now, in a sock, in front of a return. Leave it there until it dissolves. It will take a few days. You can always add more, once you know what it really is.

In the meantime, add three quarts of 8.25% Chlorox or equivalent every day until you get the test kit and can adjust things properly. Somewhere in there, add a couple 7 lb bags of baking soda. It's really easy to add more later, but overdoing it will just make you use more acid later. Calcium? I'd hold off until I had test results I could trust.

End prescription.

Awesome advice, thanks. I completely drained the pool to do some repairs and sand some scaling. Pool is full of tap water, all 25K gal, plus some debris from the current storm and spring trees shedding.

So CYA comes in canisters? Where is the best place to get that, pool store? Thanks for the tips on using bleach and baking soda. I started reading pool school. I'm heading out to the Blue Ridge on motorcycles as soon as the rain calms down but taking the iPad and will read the rest over the weekend. This is a good start. Thanks again.

You can get CYA at wal-mart for cheap. It's called "stabalizer", make sure ingredients say 100% cyanuric acid
I get baking soda at costco as well as clorox bleach
i think the only thing you "need" from a pool store is calcium "hardness". I have to add about 15 pounds at pool opening to keep up the CH for the season.

I would steer clear of anything with "Plus" or "+Xtra" on it.

This is what you need:

0001474655503_215X215.jpg

Aqua-Chemical-Stabilizer-3lbs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't put anything in your skimmer. Some products instruct you to do this, but trust me, it usually ends up at the very least making a mess and wasting product. Even worse you could end up clogging or damaging your equipment.

Liquid bleach should be poured with the opening close to the water surface to avoid splashing, but do NOT use splashless varieties! Carefully aim the descending stream of bleach to intersect the water jet flowing out of the return so it mixes rapidly.
Borax mixes pretty quick if broadcasted and swept with a brush. However I recommend putting the proper amount into a bucket of water and pre-dissolving it then pouring the mixture in front of the return just like the bleach.

Thanks.

Questions:
Do I pour the Clorox and borax into the skimmer or broadcast in the general pool water? Is there a section in Pool School that covers this?

Oops, just found it in pool school!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.