Is the Main Drain supposed to be an intake?

bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are shopping for estimates on having our pool resurfaced. Some of the pool contractors have stated that the main drain needs to be in compliance with VGB. But, these estimates include this as an optional item. Is the MD required to be in compliance with VGB and have a split MD?

I swam yesterday and dove down to the MD and it was not pulling in any water when my pump was on. So that got me thinking is it supposed to pull in water? Could there be something wrong? If not, and it is not intended to be an intake for our pool, then I could save the $ by not having the MD split.

My intake is in the skimmer. There are two holes. One pulls in water and the other doesn't (not sure what it is supposed to do).

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Yes a MD is usually on the suction side of the pump so it should be drawing water in. Sometimes they are plumbed in with the skimmer which is probably your case. Do you have a float in the skimmer? Without restricting the skimmer some, there is will be little flow rate from the main drain. But you really don't need the main drain either.

As for VGB, I think it is optional for residential pool owners with existing pools. All new pools require compliance but older pools do not. You can also use SVRS system instead of a split drain if you want to go that direction.

I would check on the compliance for the main drain. Check with you local home inspector. I know he in Kentucky the only people that have to be VGB compliant are commercial propertys.
Also there are VGB compliant drain covers that can go over the existing drain.
You probably wouldn't fill any suction at drain cause your skimmers were running I'm assuming. Try turning your skimmers off if that's possible and see if water continues to circulate. That would tell you if your drain even works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

It's not drawing water because you're probably missing the diverter. Look for something like this layying around
lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg

There's a sliding flap underneath. Closed, all the suction goes to the main drain. Wide open (or missing) it's all suction. Somewhere in between regulates how much flow to each.

Not sure of the legalities about the drains.

Tx u all.

I have the diverter, but no flap underneath. Do I need the flap? What would it accomplish if I had the diverter flap?

I didn't think the main drain or anything would pull in water if the pump is off. If I have the pump off I assume the MD will still pull in water. Will have to dive in when have a chance.

If you have a diverter even with no flap, the main drain will draw water, just not a lot. It is fine that way. You really don't need a main drain and it just takes away flow rate from the skimmer anyway which is much more important.

Also, the main drain will not draw water with the pump off. It is no different than any other part of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.