Test Results in on the Cesspit!

Ok, so I have a question for you all. I have an above ground pool, it is metal sided pool with a soft vinyl liner. I am going to have to replace my automatic pool cleaner, the cost to fix it (100 bucks) is basically what I could get a new one for. I found a good one that is not too expensive, but will get the job done. I am looking at this one: http://tinyurl.com/kcb957z - It appears to have good reviews, will this work with my pool?

Ok, so I need some help... Where is all my chlorine going? Pool still looks like it did in last picture but now I am eating chlorine like crazy.

CYA is stable at 35, I had my better half put enough bleach to go from 5 ppm Chlorine to 14 ppm around noon, than I came home and vacuumed pool from 7:00 to 8:00 pm, than I tested my Chlorine and CYA after. I was at 5 ppm FC, 0.5 CC and 35 CYA.

What gives?

Unless your pool is totally sparkly clean, the chlorine is being used up clearing the last of the algae. You probably need to keep SLAM-ing (keeping FC at or above shock level) for a while longer. If you let the FC level drop too soon the algae will keep growing and sucking up your chlorine forever. Kill it dead. And sparkly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am doing the best I can, I will check again in morning. I am checking and adding 2-3 times a day. My clean pressure is 10 pounds on filter and I am at 11 right now. I am going to add de to my sand filter this weekend and I am thinking of getting a Aquabot Jr for my pool, I got a Kreepy Krauly type suction side cleaner that does not work well at all.

What do ya'all think?

Keep your FC level at shock level as much as possible. any dip below shock level can allow re-growth. Any vacuum will help. even a manual one for now. should scoop out as much debris as possible. you are def making progress your pics show that. I think it is possible that since your water is clearing up that your losing more FC to the sun during the day. I would do a test when the sunlight is off the pool in the evening before sundown. add the appropriate amount of Chlorine to get you above shock level. run for 30-1hr then retest. see what your FC drop is. if below shock level add more chlorine and run again for 30-1hr, retest. if above shock level allow overnight and check again before sunrise. this should allow you to see if the sun is robbing you during the day. if so need more CYA. id test the CYA once a week if you are doing repeated backwashes and adding water.

the automatic suction cleaners work best with a clean filter. vaccuming up dead algae will dirty up filter reduce suction and could cause issues with automatic type vacuums. slime bag or something like that attached to your return will help. can run in recirculate mode with slime bag on return when vac to avoid filter clogging

I checked it this morning, thankfully we were at 13 ppm. I wonder if the Liquid Chlorine I bought that was 10% did not work well. I have a manual vac, but I am thinking of the robot too, will do a better job than I can. I will check it again when I get home and I can see what kind of loss we have.

The issue isn't the filter, the problem is it would stop moving in the middle of things and I found the only way to keep it going was for me to hold the suction plate in place in the skimmer. It wasn't a clogging issue, I am going to bring it back.

Ok, so I am baffled. I did a backwash today and I am not sure why it did this... It's done this to me before too, I was back washing and I saw sand colored stuff coming out of the discharge, what is the deal with it? My multiport is working properly, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any ideas?

Just a curious bystander here, enjoying the site and this thread. A month has shown a world of progress on Michael's pool, but I just have to ask... wouldn't it have been faster, cheaper and especially easier to just empty it completely and refill? Am I missing the point?

Thanks,
Bob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.