Beaded liner installation help needed.

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
Beaded liner is torn from dry rot near the edge along the beading and needs replacement.

I've gotten some quotes and they're, at the cheapest, $1,000 ($600 for 33x18 20g liner, rest is labor) or more depending on any additional floor prep needed.

Is this a something that is doable for a determined DIY'er?

Pool store is discouraging 25g liner stating it's to difficult to work with and will add $120 to price. But if I have to go through this I'd like something that lasts.

I'm mostly concerned about what's under the floor and how to dry our or remediate any bed issues.

Pool stores have said measurements are +/- a few inches on width and length. One say a custom liner needs to be ordered (more $$), the other says it should not be an issue to make stock fit work.

Please advise if there's a thorough how-to on this site or elsewhere and your thoguhts on tackling this job.

Thanks!

Liners are not difficult to put in with a few buddies to help.

the 25 liner is also recommended. Whoever told you its more difficult is more lazy than anything else. Recommended to do the liner replacement on a warm sunny day. The sun heating up the vinyl will make the job a lot easier.

From my experience, you will want at least one other person, preferably two. I had two guys helping me. One pulled the liner up ahead of me and held it while I put it in the bead and the other guy kept it in behind us as we worked our way around the pool.

Onslow,
to reiterate what others have said, you should have no problem doing this DIY with a helper. I'd go with the 25mil, btw.

also, send my love to Daisy, and try to keep Hyacinth off your back :)

Last edited:
Thanks all - I may just brave this. Sounds doable.

What's the deal with using a shop vac during installation?

Onslow
You can see in this picture where the shop vac hose is under the liner (left edge of the shed) you can see how it has the liner sides pulled tight all the way around the sides. This helps greatly in getting all of the wrinkles out of the floor. Once the water started rising up the side walls, I just let the water smooth them all out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, they won't. Just work the wrinkles out any way you can if there are any.

That is an awesome liner! You will enjoy it thoroughly! Congrats!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.