Using Bleach In SW pool

Beth76

Jul 8, 2008
Just wondering I have a SWG and my local poolstore tells me not to use bleach in my pool. They tell me I need to use dichlor in a salt System pool. At this current time my FC is 0 What do you suggest?

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine is chlorine, it doesn't matter where it comes from. What does matter is that dichlor contains additional things that you don't usually want added to your pool, while bleach contains nothing but chlorine and a tiny amount of salt. Pool stores often object to bleach because they don't sell it.

WIth a SWG and a FC level of zero, you should check your PH, CYA, and salt levels, make sure the SWG is turned on, and shock the pool. Shocking is best done with bleach (unless your CYA level is too low).

I'm by no means an expert on SWGs, still learning.

But I can tell you either is usable to a certain extent.

Dichlor contains CYA so it depends on your CYA level, if it should be used. Dichlor is just stabilized chlorine, bleach is chlorine, so I can't see why they would advise you not to use bleach. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine....

What is your salt level, and what is the SWG set at? It seems odd that you have no chlorine reading. What color is your pool water? Is it clear?

Can you post a full set of test results so we can help better. :-D

Bleach can be used just fine in a SWG, for shocking, etc.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I'm new to this pool stuff also and had a similar problem. We got a bad SWG and had to wait a week for a new one. Of course our pool was full and we had put some of the dry shock in the pool plus the other pool store stuff like stabilizer etc. Anyway, after two weeks trying to get the TA & CYA right I noticed we never had a good level of free chlorine, so I did a bunch of reading here and asked a few questions and decided I needed to shock the pool good, with bleach of course. The FC is still slowly coming down about four days since the last time I added any bleach, which tells me it made a difference and the SWG is able to keep up with the demand since I've got rid of whats been eating it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.