Lots of Little Pin Holes in Pool Wals

Jun 26, 2007
We have a 24' Round Above Ground pool that we noticed started to leak at the very end of last season. It looked like a water balloon that had a pin hole in it and the water was shooting out. I just drained all the water from the pool and noticed that there lots of little holes in the pool wall (Oxidizing) I can see the light coming in the holes. In the one section that I pulled the liner away from the wall there must of been at least 20 tiny pin holes mainly on the bottom of the wall.

What should I do? I know that I need a new liner. Is my pool shot? I see that some website sell wall foam kits; will this work?

Thanks!

It sounds like your liner is just worn out.... Do you have rust anywhere on the walls of your pool? If so, if its not bad, its easily fixed, but it does sound like you're up for a new liner....

I wouldn't go with foam around the walls of your pool... Think of a flat table with a piece of paper on it, now push a pen through the paper.... You can't... Now put a piece of foam underneath that piece of paper on the table, and push a pen through it. It makes it a lot easier to put a hole in it... :)

Foam coping at the base of the walls of your pool is a different thing... :) Lots of people rave about the foam coping....:)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that with all the little pin holes all over the aluminum walls when I put a new liner in the the press of the water against these little holes a causing a new liner to rip. I see some oxidizing but no rust.

When I pulled the liner away from the wall I can see the light going through the little holes. There must of been at least 20 pin size holes in the one section. The walls still seems stable. Just not sure what to do. I don't want to spend money on a new liner that will only last a season.

Hello jlarnai. I would suggest, if the area isn't very large, to get sheet metal and use a pop rivot gun to attach it to the wall on the inside of the pool and use a few layers of duct tape over the sheet metal edges to protect the new liner. That is how all holes in the wall are pretty much fixed.

As far as the wall foam, it's strictly a personal choice. I had it in my last pool and loved it and I had a pitmix swimming with me daily and she's even scratched the side of the pool a time or two and I never got a hole or a tear. I was going to add the foam to the wall in my brand new pool but it started to rain and we dropped the liner and never thought twice about it! I still have it rolled up in my garage! :mrgreen:

I had this liner for 3 years (took pool down) and Casey... I had her for 14 years. She passed before I could get our new pool. :( She even dove to the bottom of the pool to get the diving rings and the toypedo! :mrgreen:

I had this issue 10 yrs ago on a different pool. The problem was ants. Seriously. I had to get a new liner but first treated the ground under the pool and around the pool with diazinon. Never had the problem again. It was costly but now we have moved and have a new pool, you can bet I treated well for ants before we put it in. Hope this helps.

After pulling the liner completely out there was lots and lots of little holes in the metal pool wall. Just in one section; I counted 13 little pin holes that the sun was coming through. My wife and I agreed it was not worth to take the chance in the wall collapsing; that we decided to get a new pool. It will be delivered at the end of the week and will be installed next week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.