Skimmer with no Weir

js8390

Bronze Supporter
Apr 28, 2014
Pleasant Prairie, WI
I have included a couple pictures in case someone knows what make/model it may be. So as the title states, my skimmer doesn't have a weir. I've read a few threads on TFP regarding this issue, but the answers all seemed to be the same. Measure and order. The thing is, my skimmer opening doesn't have any holes for pins or anything to keep the weir in place and allow it to rotate. The skimmer housing on the bottom is angled up slightly as the water enters the basket area. However my 'pull' or 'suction' coming from the skimmer isn't very strong, and it seems to only collect surface debris if it is within a few inches in from of the skimmer. I'm thinking a weir might be my problem. Even if it isn't, I'll be needing a weir as I bought a timer for my pump this year and won't be running it 24/7 like last summer. Any ideas or directions you can send me in would be appreciated. Thanks!

(edit - The ID of the skimmer measures 13.5" x 5.25")
-Joe

(ps. I know the skimmer is nasty. I'd replace it if I could with ease...Sort of inherited a baqua pool late last summer and doing what I can to fix it)
20140515_155832.jpg

20140515_155906.jpg

20140515_160005.jpg

Last edited:
There are universal weirs that have spring loaded feet/pads that hold the door in the throat using friction. Although it looks like the sides of the skimmer are angled, so not sure how well it will stay put.

I didn't even think about the sides...That make me think a weir wouldn't be able to 'lay back' and allow water to enter in the first place...

I do have an option in my piping to take all my suction off the skimmer. I currently have it set up to take water from the skimmer as well as a suction port on the deep end wall about 2 feet below water level. I just don't want to potentially put more strain on the pump...however the two suction lines go to one before the pump...I should be fine with that.

Yes they angle all the way to the basket area. So it would seem if I found a weir that would work it would have to be literally right at the end of the throat before the basket. Not sure how well that would work...or even how it'd stay in place...

Gunite skimmers are that way. The actual plastic skimmer is deep within the wall and the weir is at the end of that and fits into two small holes. If you look, they are probably there although hard to see.

remodel_plumbing6.jpg

My whole skimmer body is plastic, sides and all. If I get my head a little wet (yes, I stuck my head in the water a bit) the last 3 inches or so there are plastic tabs or fins (think of an oversized guitar pick thats 3x as big, then cut it in half length-wise) on the top and bottom just before it gets to the basket area. So these fins wouldn't allow for a weir either. I had that same idea mas985, but then that's what I saw.

The lid says Jacuzzi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure what part 17 is on the right side, but the skimmer body looks pretty close. So I guess it's not supposed to have a weir? Seems odd. In the mean time, I did change my suction valving, so that all the water my pump is sucking in comes from the skimmer. It seems to be keeping the surface a lot cleaner. I may just have to put it there here and there to clean off the surface better. I don't want to keep it there always, cause then I wont have any flow through the other port...I can see that being a breeding ground for something.

It looks like #12 is a floating weir. I don't have that, but it could be that the 2 tabs I was mentioning before are there to keep a floating weir in place or in alignment. I guess the quest would be to find a floating weir like that, which fits appropriately in the space I have...whatever that means.

Your skimmer appears to be like what i have (which is a Jacuzzi brand). The weir is a floating weir, and it is # 12 in the diagram above. Here is a link to an example, but you'll need to make sure you get the right model for your particular model of skimmer:

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352028726.htm

My pool was missing it when moved into this house, but the local pool store luckily had the right thing, and I think for a good bit cheaper than the linked model above is selling for.

The weird floats in the skimmer above the basket, with the top right at the water line. Creates a vortex that pulls crud from surface of water into the basket. Also that creates suction that pulls nearby crud into the skimmer. Works pretty well if you have the circulation in your pool adjusted correctly.

- Steve

Haha. Yes, good job steve. I'll have to give the ole hole a measurement, and talk to some suppliers to get something that works. $70 for a floating piece of plastic...wow. Someone is making out on that deal. I'm almost half temped to find a gallon jug that has a bottom similar to the top of the weir somewhere, and make my own.

Anyway...Steve, do you happen to know off-hand what kind of clearance you have between your weir and the sides of the skimmer body? I suppose I'm wondering if it is just loose enough to allow movement, or if it has quit a bit of space around the sides.

I'll have to try some more digging, as I have no model number. I know the pool was put around in the 80's I believe it was...I'll see if I have any documentation here from the previous owner.

Alright Fellers...I measured it and it looks like the weir you posted Steve, is what I need. I even managed to find a place that has it for $42 shipped.

On a side note...I feel like an idiot here. For some reason I turned over my skimmers lid...and sure enough...

20140515_201820.jpg

Looks like a Model 'W' Skimmer. I believe it's the older version of what Steve posted.

Mine has very little clearance at all through the upper part of the skimmer, but then a fair bit in the main part of skimmer. Also, for what it is worth, like a regular weir, the floating weir works best when water line is about halfway up the skimmer opening. I just try to keep it between the two screws on either side of skimmer face.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.