Pool Newbie - couple questions :-)

mrd5

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2014
Vienna, VA
Hi all,

First post, first pool opening, first pool ownership.....

First question, in the Northern Virginia area, does anyone have a good source for the cheapest/highest concentration bleach? I haven't done an exhaustive search but right now I'm relying on the 10% from Leslie's which is around $22 for a 4 gallon case. I would love to know if I could do better because I think I need to SLAM the pool. I made a poor attempt at shocking the pool 2 days ago with some mild improvement but I made a newbie mistake of adding CYA before I had gotten rid of all the algea.

2nd question - I did a quick search of the boards and it sounds like even if you're raised your CYA up to the normal level that liquid chlorine/bleach is still the recommended way to SLAM (even though you need a lot more). What about Cal Hypo? (I also need to raise my CH too). At the price mentioned above for the 10% Bleach from Leslie's, it seems like Cal-hypo might be slightly more cost effective. If so, does anyone have a suggested source thats better than $94 per 25lb bucket?

Last question - I'm getting a warning light on my Hayward swimpure plus SWG about severely degraded performance of the cell. I'm going to try and clean it but with my luck a replacement will be required. I couldn't see a model number on the cell but since I have a 40K pool I'm assuming it's the T-cell-15? I searched around and it seems like there are similar ones although I'm not sure whether they are interchangeable (goldline T-cell-15 turbo vs hayward T-cell-15 SWP)? Any info the experts can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Once I have updated numbers I'll post a follow-up.

Thanks!
-Mike

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Cal Hypo works OK for a SLAM but be sure not to do that just to save a buck or two but because you apparently need the extra calcium.

Liquid Chlorine or Bleach will always be the purest way to add chlorine to your pool (SLAMing or maintenance) .

I can't help with pricing up around your way but it does sound like your particular Leslie's is a bit higher than normal.

I'm afraid I'm not helpful with SWG's, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.