Liquid Bleach Safe for Vinyl Liner?

May 10, 2014
Baltimore, MD
I have a 15x30 above ground pool with a new replacement liner, not exactly sure what brand or thickness. I just want to verify that adding bleach is safe for the liner. It's probably a coincidence (pollen season?), but the last 2 times I added bleach (use Pool Math) to raise FC to 3 there was a spotty film on the surface like something flaky floating a few hours later. I've ordered the TF-100 for a more accurate reading, but I know the FC was .5 or 0 from the tester I have (almost clear test result). A few hours after testing, the FC was 3, the desired level.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! It is okay to use bleach as a lot of us who own vinyl liners do so. Add CYA/stabilizer to 30ppm to buffer the FC and you're good to go. The pollen is wild right now and probably what you are seeing on the water. Read Pool School. :goodjob: If you don't have CYA in your water yet you will lose all your chlorine pretty fast to the sun.

You do want to be careful when adding bleach to pour it slowly in front of a running return, bleach is heavier than water and if you pour it too fast can sink to the bottom and still be in highly concentrated form which can damage the liner.

Ike

Got it, when TF-100 arrives I will test and adjust CYA.

And yes, I poured very slowly at the return, 50 oz took about 2 minutes to complete.

Something else and it's probably my imagination, but a few hours after adding the bleach, the water feels more viscous, almost like the feeling of hard water. But I don't have hard water and it doesn't feel like that all the time. I am just making this up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.