DE Filter Cleaning - 1st timer

Feb 4, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Gang, Just completed the first 8 steps of the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial, but running into questions :
1. What would be a linky for the 'lube' ? Silicone based appears to be better - so maybe this or something like it. dont have any as I'm new to this and just want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff. There's probably a 6-way Vari-Flo valve tear-down in my future so I also would appreciate getting one thing I can use for all this.
2. I dont see where I am supposed to fill the filter before I clamp the two parts together, but it seems like this could only reduce the amount of air that needs to get forced out of the lines and would therefore be a good thing. is it just unnecessary since there will always be lots of air to bleed so why bother adding water to the filter? or would adding in water actually be bad?
3. The DE gets watered to make it a slurry, then dumped into the skimmer basket location slowly with the pump already running and having bled the air. Should I be at all worried about the DE getting out of the skimmer area and into the pool? Should I try to keep the little floaty thingy that doesnt let leaves come back out of the skimmer partially up to make sure the DE only goes down the suction line? just a little freaked out by the warning labels on the DE box and the chance of the DE just getting into the pool proper.

and as a first time DE filter cleaner, please allow me to make a comment on the tutorial - which is mostly awesome and many thanks for it.
Step 8. The location of the slot is as important for the bottom piece as the return pipe is for the top piece of the sandwich. and while the description is accurate if you know what you are doing, I think a picture can really help make the words clear. I've updated the image just above step 8 to include an arrow for the Slot that needs to be justified with the in feed pipe as well as the location of the 'short' grid both where it starts and where it stops.
de filter reassembly.jpg
That was the only part I got wrong, but since I had already completely reassembled the filter and was trying to figure out why it wouldnt fit back into the shell, it wound up taking a bit of time dissasembling and then reassembling correctly.

Much appreciated as always.

Thanks,
Cardano

Hi Gang, Just completed the first 8 steps of the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial, but running into questions :
1. What would be a linky for the 'lube' ? Silicone based appears to be better - so maybe this or something like it. dont have any as I'm new to this and just want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff. There's probably a 6-way Vari-Flo valve tear-down in my future so I also would appreciate getting one thing I can use for all this.
I just bought a tube of pool lube at the pool store. They had a basket full on the counter by the register. One tube is good for years.

2. I dont see where I am supposed to fill the filter before I clamp the two parts together, but it seems like this could only reduce the amount of air that needs to get forced out of the lines and would therefore be a good thing. is it just unnecessary since there will always be lots of air to bleed so why bother adding water to the filter? or would adding in water actually be bad?
Don't bother. Once that pump primes, it will fill that filter so fast you won't believe it. After the first spurt of water out the bleed, close it up, give it a minute or two, and crack it again. Keep doing that until all the air works its way out the pump and filter. When you crack it and get no air at all, just water immediately, it's bled.

3. The DE gets watered to make it a slurry, then dumped into the skimmer basket location slowly with the pump already running and having bled the air. Should I be at all worried about the DE getting out of the skimmer area and into the pool? Should I try to keep the little floaty thingy that doesnt let leaves come back out of the skimmer partially up to make sure the DE only goes down the suction line? just a little freaked out by the warning labels on the DE box and the chance of the DE just getting into the pool proper.
Just go slow. The weir (flapper) should prevent backflow into the pool.

1. That looks like some good lube. I am almost out of what I have, so may look at that as well.

2. I suppose you could add water, but not really needed ... it will always end up at least half full of air

3. No concern about the DE entering the pool (not dangerous) ... it likely will not if you have all the suction going through the skimmer (you can not hold the weir up as that will starve the pump).

The reassembly is a little tricky at first, thanks for the feedback. I will likely update it with your picture. :goodjob:

What is the blue line, above the arrow for the "Short Grid 1st" comment, for? Is that really showing where the arrow should be? That inner vertical clip? Or does the short grid go right where the arrow is?

Thanks for the update. I have the 6020 filter, just like the tutorial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.