Help! Can't get connection from filter to pump to stay put!

ktkat

Jun 3, 2007
Trying to restart my pool, and the flexible, heavy-duty tube we have running from the pump to the filter keeps coming off when I start up the pump. I have three ring clamps on it, and still it pops off (and shoots water everywhere). Any suggestions for why this could be happening this year (I did nothing different with my setup) and how to make it stay put. Do I need a new line? Is there an adhesive I can use? HELP!!

I tried backwashing the filter without running the pump to clean it out...I did clean off the top of the sand (have a Hayward sand filter), and put in a few scoops of new, but nothing crazy. I've used this same setup for about 5 years...ring clamps, heavy-duty flexible hose...with absolutely no problems.

I know you can't use plumber's putty...is there something else we could use to hold it in place? Should I go out and buy new ring clamps?

It seems that there is too much pressure being built up, assuming your clamps are on tight.

Is your multi valve set to filter?

What happens if you try to hold the hose there with your hand?

If it still blows off you have some kind of pressure problem.

ktkat, I'm not trying to be offensive but, is the plug out of the return? It sounds like some kind of obstruction in the return line which is causing the pressure to rise, blowing off the other pipe. You can disconnect the return pipe and make sure that no rodents made their home in the pipe over the winter. If the return line is clear, try running the filter on recirc, which will let you know if the filter itelf is the problem.
Good luck, please let us know how it turns out.

is the connector at the filter barbed?
Mine will leak, but I haven't ever had so much as the slightest movement of the hose even with the shutoff at the return turned off - something just doesn't sound right about the connection of the hose......
I'd definitely be putting a barbed fitting on there for starters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.