Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Can't get connection from filter to pump to stay put!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Can't get connection from filter to pump to stay put!

Trying to restart my pool, and the flexible, heavy-duty tube we have running from the pump to the filter keeps coming off when I start up the pump. I have three ring clamps on it, and still it pops off (and shoots water everywhere). Any suggestions for why this could be happening this year (I did nothing different with my setup) and how to make it stay put. Do I need a new line? Is there an adhesive I can use? HELP!!
    25K gal vinyl IG, Jacuzzi 250 sand filter, Kreepy Krauly vacuum, Home Built Solar heater & thermostat, BBB all the way

2. Back To Top    #2

Too much pressure building up in the filter?

The weakest link is the hose?

Filter issues?
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

3. Back To Top    #3
    I tried backwashing the filter without running the pump to clean it out...I did clean off the top of the sand (have a Hayward sand filter), and put in a few scoops of new, but nothing crazy. I've used this same setup for about 5 years...ring clamps, heavy-duty flexible hose...with absolutely no problems.

I know you can't use plumber's putty...is there something else we could use to hold it in place? Should I go out and buy new ring clamps?
    25K gal vinyl IG, Jacuzzi 250 sand filter, Kreepy Krauly vacuum, Home Built Solar heater & thermostat, BBB all the way

4. Back To Top    #4

It seems that there is too much pressure being built up, assuming your clamps are on tight.

Is your multi valve set to filter?

What happens if you try to hold the hose there with your hand?

If it still blows off you have some kind of pressure problem.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yeah, one time when I did try to hold it on, it did come off. What could be causing a pressure problem? Any ideas for how to fix?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Oh...just realized I forgot to give details. We have a AG pool oval (not sure on the size exactly), hayward (I believe it's powerflo 1510) pump and sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

ktkat, I'm not trying to be offensive but, is the plug out of the return? It sounds like some kind of obstruction in the return line which is causing the pressure to rise, blowing off the other pipe. You can disconnect the return pipe and make sure that no rodents made their home in the pipe over the winter. If the return line is clear, try running the filter on recirc, which will let you know if the filter itelf is the problem.
    Good luck, please let us know how it turns out.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    is the connector at the filter barbed?
    Mine will leak, but I haven't ever had so much as the slightest movement of the hose even with the shutoff at the return turned off - something just doesn't sound right about the connection of the hose......
    I'd definitely be putting a barbed fitting on there for starters.