Greenish staining

jakobc

May 14, 2014
annapolis, maryland
Hi all,

After having read a lot of posts about staining I decided to post my own pictures because I'm not sure which problem I have.
The staining is greenish and doesn't come off when I brush. It's not scaling - the surface feels smooth.
I opened the pool a week or so ago and got rid of the green water - the filters are doing it's job at clearing the water and the FC is good and steady. I'm putting a lot of shock in which is normal for me early in the season. My SWG is not running yet and I have not added salt.
Before I venture in to an acid bath and brush the .... out of my pool I wanted to ask you smart people :cool:
My pool is 5 years old.
FC - 2
CC - 1.6
pH - 7.5
TA - 78 (little low I know)
CH - 360
CYA - 55 (a little low also)

Thank you!

IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1530.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? Your high CC points to a need to follow the SLAM Process.
What "shock" product are you using? Be careful it is not adding too much CYA.

Your TA is fine, leave it alone.

You need to ID the stain. Try putting a trichlor tablet on it and see if it lightens in a few minutes ... that would be organic stains. Or try putting a vitamin C tablet on it and let is dissolve for awhile and see if that lightens the stain ... that would be metal staining.

Thank you.

My test results are from the local pool store. But I also use test strips and my little Pentair pH and CL kit (twice a day) My TF100 XL test kit is on it's way in the mail.
I have been using different shock products from Bioguard and Leslie's ... and latest Kmart - Clorox household bleach. But I have been careful not to use shock with CYA.

I will try to put a trichlor tablet on it a see what happens and after that a vitamin c.

Thank you!
Jakob

Hi again,

Just a quick update.

I don't see any effect from the trichlor tablet or the vitamin C - I will leave them for a bit longer.

I had the water tested again at the local pool store and I was surprised to see I had lost a lot of FC. The good thing is that the CC level showed low as well.

FC - 0.1
CC - 0.1
pH - 7.5
TA - 94
CH - 362
CYA - 55

I just added 3gal of liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite) and I added salt so I can get the SWG going.

Thanks,
Jakob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.