can stabilizer (CYA) stain plaster ?

I don't think the liquid can if you add it while the pump is running. As for the granular if you would broadcast it and it just sits on the bottom of the pool it may stain it.
Always add granular stabilizer via a sock or knee high hung in front of a return. You could also put it in the skimmer basket using the sock, knee high but the pump must be running while it's in the skimmer basket. Pump should be running until it's all dissolved with either method. ?

Did you dump stabilizer into your pool without a sock?

Did you dump stabilizer into your pool without a sock?

Well not directly but indirectly :mad:

Since the pool was finished with the PB last month & his pool service guy wrapped up his pool school I had been debating keeping his service for weekly cleaning & ultimately decided to try that for a little while
My understanding was they would be adding tricolor to the chlorine feeder as needed & brushing , emptying baskets etc.

I had already started using liquid chlorine & was SLOWLY adding liquid CYA because I'm paranoid about that getting too high & I was keeping the chlorine feeder off completely or on a very low setting

Well my wife told me they came to clean yesterday & even vacuumed the pool (we had tons of rain Mon night & Tue morn) so that sounded good
When I got home & read their card it indicated they added 2 pounds of stabilizer :-(
(it was mostly cloudy yesterday)

So I was very concerned about that especially since my tests were indicating a CYA of 30-40

Today the suns out so I'm testing the water & adding liquid chlorine & brushing the pool etc., then I see what I think are some stains in the deep end (lighter color variation spots on the finish)
now my mind starts to add this up I'm thinking these guys just dumped some powdered CYA in the deep end & then tried to vacuum up what didn't dissolve in the water

:brickwall:

I did a CYA test late afternoon today with low sun & ran out of R-0013 while trying to do it & I'm worried it's well above 60 now :cry:

So I plan on having a discussion with the owner of the pool service
(I honestly enjoyed his pool school & the discussions we had about water chemistry enough to think I could trust him/his service but like almost anything else they're only as good as the people they hire)
and will probably fire them after I hear what he has to say

The older I get the more strongly I believe that if you want something done right(correctly) you must do it yourself

also I didn't just go with this pool service because of the PB but this guy's pool service does 6 other pools in the neighborhood including my neighbor across the street & he thinks they're great

oh well , live & learn I suppose

Yes if you want it done correctly do it yourself. That's what this forum wants to teach you. You take control of the pool, not somebody else ! ��

yeah I just didn't expect them to dump 2 lbs of CYA in there without talking to me first
in fact the discussions we'd had about the "service" were focused on pool cleaning not so much on adding chemicals other than chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can attest that dumping it directly, even if you brush it within minutes can definitely stain a dark colored plaster. Learn from my mistake and follow the guidelines above. Why risk it?

IMO there's no way a once-a-week PS can achieve the same results of BBB. I've learned that if I only attend to my pool once a week, I'll be pumping $$$ not water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can attest that dumping it directly, even if you brush it within minutes can definitely stain a dark colored plaster. Learn from my mistake and follow the guidelines above. Why risk it?

IMO there's no way a once-a-week PS can achieve the same results of BBB. I've learned that if I only attend to my pool once a week, I'll be pumping $$$ not water

yep, now that they demonstrated I can't trust 'em I fired 'em

Pumping $$$ --- Classic line! Can I steal it? :mrgreen:

We really appreciate you jumping in with first-hand experience. You need to post more, you've obviously got a handle on things now.

Well I may have lucked out on the CYA at least
I got the new bottle of R-0013 & after three tests I think I'm sitting at about 50
my FC seems to be staying up at least

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I hate to be the one to say this BUT......................it takes a week for the full results to show for CYA :( My fingers are crossed that it is not too high.

Hugs!

true , although that was Tue when they added the 2 lbs & today is Sat

I think it could be 60 , I'm trying to go with complete black dot obscuration for the reading
I had my wife look at it & she said it disappeared at 50 , cautiously optimistic :)

I have just experienced staining/bleaching of the blue plaster of my pool because of the broadcasting of granular stabilizer per the instruction of my pool company - yet they deny that it could have actually happened. is there any research or experiences that others could point me to? any theory as to what may actually have caused this? many thanks!

Cyanuric Acid is a weak acid with its first pKa of only 6.8 which isn't a very low pH, but locally when it dissolves with no circulation where it sits it could lower the pH more. At the limit of saturation of cyanuric acid in water (0.27 g / 100 ml) this is 0.36 ounces per gallon and in pool water would result in a pH of 5.7. That could affect tinted plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.