careingemt

Sep 11, 2013
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is it really necessary to lower the water level back down to operating level after a heavy rain ... when pool was installed I was told that operating water level is 2nd screw down on skimmer bracket

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

If water goes over top of the skimmer it will not perform it's intended job of *skimming* the top of the pool water.

How high is it now ? The only real problem is the skimmer works better with a lower water level. About half way up the skimmer or so.
Did your water overflow out of the skimmer with all the rain ?

If I take lid off skimmer water level is at top of skimmer... so I would assume water is coming out of skimmer

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

No pool is perfectly level, so if it overflows, it's going to start at the low side and turn the already low ground into a mudhole, which will cause it to sink even lower, and so on and so on until you have real troubles. I'd lower the level some so the runoff goes where I want it to go.

Others before you have dealt with it by drilling a hole on the skimmer housing well above the normal full line, but below the rail level. Then it will just drain off through a hose. I looked up an old reply of mine.

What you want is called a bulkhead fitting or a "through-hull" fitting for a boat. You'll never be able to tap threads in the skimmer, so you need something with some gaskets and a compression nut that you can then attach a hose or a pipe to and run it away from the pool to drain somewhere safe. I'd place it as high as reasonable, so you don't have it draining water when the kids set up waves.
BulkheadFittings.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're not dumping the whole pool careingemt. You are going to lose some CYA each summer due to rainfall, kids splashing wildly and back washing/maintenance of pump/filter cleaning. That is why monthly testing is recommended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.