DE580 filter retaining ring

I would not think that creating a pressure vessel without a part called a "retaining ring" would be a good idea ... although from the picture I can not determine its purpose.

It goes on the inside of the bottom half of the filter chamber. Presumably to keep the body round and disallow you from tightening the clamp too much.

Given that it was broken and the system running, I'm curious if I can get away without it for a little while.

Here's a stock photo I found with the ring "Installed"

R0466500-4.jpg

You shouldn't run it without but you can make it work. Let me guess...the four rivets corroded out and it just fell out of position into the bottom half of the filter when you took it apart? The rivets don't really do much other than just holding it in place. You can place the ring ends together to form a circle then press down into the bottom half so the top edge is flush with the top lip of the filter body.

The diameter of the bottom half of the filter should keep enough tension to keep the ring ends together.

You shouldn't run it without but you can make it work. Let me guess...the four rivets corroded out and it just fell out of position into the bottom half of the filter when you took it apart? The rivets don't really do much other than just holding it in place. You can place the ring ends together to form a circle then press down into the bottom half so the top edge is flush with the top lip of the filter body.

The diameter of the bottom half of the filter should keep enough tension to keep the ring ends together.

Precisely.

I tried to get the ring to stay in but it just falls down into the filter housing now. Not enough tension without the clamp in place.

Hmmm.....

Maybe your ring is different than mine but after a second look, I realized the rivets were not holding the ring ends together but were there to secure the ring to the plastic housing. The ring ends should NOT overlap when installed. It's kinda tricky to manipulate it but there should be enough tension to hold it. If not, I guess you can wait for the new one.

Hmmm.....

Maybe your ring is different than mine but after a second look, I realized the rivets were not holding the ring ends together but were there to secure the ring to the plastic housing. The ring ends should NOT overlap when installed. It's kinda tricky to manipulate it but there should be enough tension to hold it. If not, I guess you can wait for the new one.

How do the rivets secure the ring to the plastic housing? Just by giving the ring a little more width at the back end to provide extra tension against the housing? I don't see anywhere in the housing where the rivets would have 'held' the ring in place.

ok I got the ring back in there after fighting with it and got the clamp back on. i had a slow leak on the back side of the clamp so i shut it all down
and removed the clamp again and popped the thing open again and the retaining ring was just laying in the bottom again. So evidently I'll have to wait for a new ring.

Also my pump basket had a big air bubble in it I couldn't get rid of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.