Help!! SLAMing for 9 days and the CCs are going UP!

Apr 22, 2014
Naperville IL
We purchased our home in December and inherited this pool. I've had some help opening it and getting started with my TF100 test kit. My initial testing was

pH 7.2
FC 0
CC 0
TA 160
CH 250
CYA 40

The next morning after adding bleach up to 7ppm I had

pH 7.2
FC 3.5
CC 1

I was advised to SLAM because the rate of drop from 7 to 3.5ppm was too much in less than 12 hours and overnight. With the CYA at 40 I slowly crept up to the correlating SLAM level. I've charted every testing and the first 3 days I was at a CC of .5-1.0. On day 3 I saw my first CC of 1.5 and on day 4 saw my first CC of 2. I stayed between CC of 1.5 and 2 for a couple days. In the mean time I decided to test the CYA again to see if maybe something changed after the pool had been circulating for a number of days. New CYA with both my wife and I comparing our results is 60. So we decided to raise the SLAM level to correlate with the chart (that was on 5/12) Now with the new SLAM level higher we saw our first 3 on 5/13. Again in the meantime I ordered more chemicals because we've been testing so much and I thought maybe the DPD powder I received was the wrong consistency. I received my new chemicals today and it does seem the powder consistency is different. I did a side by side test with the new and old chemicals with these results.

Old: FC 20.5
CC 2

New: FC 22.5
CC 1.5

So, am I not seeing the CCs disappear because I haven't been at the appropriate SLAM level for long enough? The pool was clear on opening and is crystal clear now. I also I have been brushing and vacuuming daily. I will be performing the overnight test tonight into tomorrow morning just to see if we pass. At this point I feel like I'm doing everything right and can't get rid of these stupid CCs. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ken

With a high CC you will fail the OCLT. I wouldn't bother with the OCLT until your water is crystal clear and your CC's are .5 or less.

CC's will increase and decrease as the SLAM process continues.....it is not a straight line reduction. Your results are perfectly normal.

When you get crystal clear water and your CC's are at .5 ppm or less (and they WILL get there if you keep slamming), then perform the OCLT, looking for 1 ppm or less of FC. If you pass that, your SLAM is complete.

Your "old" DPD powder and the "new" DPD powder are from the same batch number and were processed identically. I simply don't have an answer for your discrepancy. The accuracy of the test is .5 ppm pus or minus

Also seems that your CC levels are tracking up with your FC levels, which to me (non-expert) makes some sense.

The chlorine will break down the CC's, but IIRC the last of the reactions for that takes some time so if you're generating more CC's the amount of CC in the process of being broken down seems like it should go up as well.

Life is a funny thing.. After my post and being advised to still SLAM I decided to crank the FC up to 28 to correlate with a CYA of 70 (I figured it can't hurt right?) I tested a number of hours later and found a FC of 24.5 and a CC of 0!!!!!!! :D So I decided to bring it back up to 28 one more time and perform the OCLT last night. Drum roll please..... FC last night 30.5 CC 0 this morning FC 30.5 and CC .5!!! WE PASSED!!!!! So with a CC of .5 should I just allow the FC to drop back to normal levels? and thanks for all your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you used any MPS or non-chlorine shock products? They can read on the test as CC.

Since we opened the pool I've only used liquid chlorine (bleach). As for what the previous owner did, your guess is as good as mine..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.