Newbie to TFP - Opening help

Thanks for all your help. I raised it yesterday morning to around 5.5-6.0 and when I checked this morning it was 1.0. Is that normal? I feel like I am dumping loads of beach (little over a gallon) in everyday to keep the level. No one used the pool yestetday. Full sun, outside temp in the high 80's around 90.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your help. I raised it yesterday morning to around 5.5-6.0 and when I checked this morning it was 1.0. Is that normal? I feel like I am dumping loads of beach (little over a gallon) in everyday to keep the level. No one used the pool yestetday. Full sun, outside temp in the high 80's around 90.

Losing almost 5 ppm per day without anyone swimming is too much.

If you had the proper FAS-DPD test kit, you could do an overnight loss test and also tell us what the Combined Chlorine level is, which would help a great deal in diagnosing it. Colormatching is just not accurate enough for those tests. You may have algae building strength for a bloom. Is the water cloudy or hazy at all?

ratu2y8u.jpg

The water looks clear, that's the first hurdle. CC is .5 or below, that's the second. So all you need to do now is get your FC level up to SLAM one last time, let it mix for an hour or so, take a test after the sun stops hitting the pool, and check it again before the sun hits it in the morning. If you lost less than 1, you're all done. Move to daily maintenance mode. If it lost more than 1, raise FC back to SLAM and repeat it all tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK. Think I figured out the problem. There was a small amount of algae on the wall right under the top rail (all the way around the pool). The water was splashing up on it. Would that cause a dramatic drop in FC? I brushed all of it about an hour sgo.

Any best way to proceed?

OK. Think I figured out the problem. There was a small amount of algae on the wall right under the top rail (all the way around the pool). The water was splashing up on it. Would that cause a dramatic drop in FC? I brushed all of it about an hour sgo.

Any best way to proceed?

overnight loss test.

Well, the lid came off of the pump strainer yesterday and got the motor wet. That tripped the GFCI outlet. I am hoping when it dries up it will allow me to reset it.

I did the ONLT anyway (not sure if the pump being off would affect it) and started at 1.4 FC and this morning had 1.2 FC.

I would not do the OCLT with the FC being that low and the pump needs to be running.

Why did you leave the FC so low last night? You should never let it get below the minimum listed for your CYA level. You are begging for algae and the need to SLAM.

For your daily maintenance if you only plan to test once per day, it should be in the evening after the sun is no longer hitting the water. This allows you to adjust up to the recommend level if needed and have it be effective all night.

I finnaly got time to do the onlt and lost 1.8. That was after a day of people swimming so I don't know if some of that was breakdown from that overnight. To maintain, I have been having to add 2-3 quarts of bleach a day. Does that sound about right for this size pool?

21x43 AG vinyl Full sun all day with outside temps avg 84-90 degrees

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.