Water not clearing up as Expected

Jul 29, 2013
OK started the SLAM process Sunday. It is now Wednesday water is still turquoise.

Each evening i make sure FC is 20ppm or higher based on my CYA tests prior to starting SLAM of 45. Each day i brush walls, vacuum bottom, clean filter.

Filter has been very green due to the initial Algae when i first started. After vacuum yesterday noticed in pump a lot of cedar pieces. Each morning before heading out to work i test water and FC has been 18ppm or higher. When i get home after work, it seems to have dropped to about 12ppm past couple of days.

I would have thought by now it would have cleared up??

Is your filter pressure climbing?
What is your CC level?

It did not get green in a few days, so it likely will not take only a few days to clean.

Have faith and follow the process ;)

my pressure gauge does not seem to be working since it has not moved, but i clean the filter at least once a day and the pressure coming out of return seems good and strong.

CC seems to be less than 1ppm

Well a slightly dirty filter actually cleans better, so cleaning too often may not be helping.
Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
Are you running the pump 24/7?

I think you need a new gauge (or first check that the port in the filter is not clogged). No way it should always read zero. You should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

A working psi gauge is essential to pool water management. Get yourself one and keep slamming the pool. Even if it takes longer than expected, there really is no choice but to review the SLAM article to make sure you are doing everything correct and then continue to do that. It will clear.......they always do unless people do not follow the instructions precisely. It sounds like you are, you just need more time.

Now go buy that gauge! :mrgreen:

Maybe you can bump your FC a little higher than your SLAM level before work to account for the amount that it is dropping during the day? I don't think there is any way around it taking longer for someone who can't babysit the FC during the day at the beginning.

Experts, if outdoor has to be at work during the day how high can they go with the FC before work to try to "make up" for it? I'm sure dropping to 12 every day is not helping the progress...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
how high can they go with the FC before work to try to "make up" for it? I'm sure dropping to 12 every day is not helping the progress...
The problem with that is setting a standard. OP's suggested level is 20 ppm so if we say 22 is ok, then why not 25, if 25 and OP is in a real hurry (most always are), then why not 30? etc. etc.

We know from chem geek's help that 20 is safe so that's our standard. To suggest more than that detracts from the standard that we are comfortable with. and OP can certainly put in any amount he wants (and many do :hammer:) but if we say a little more is OK, then there is no end.

Secondly, we know that 20 ppm will work....even if you can only obtain that level twice daily. So, if you are away during the day, bring it to 20 in the AM and then again in the evening.

7 days is not way too long in the grand scheme of things. Patience is key when clearing a green pool. What kind of junk is on the bottom of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.