Hello everyone.....

May 14, 2014
Space Coast, FL
So glad I found this website. Have learned so much in the last 24 hours.

My family (me, the wife, our 8 and 6 year old kids) moved into my current home about 1.5 years ago. Never owned a pool before and had relegated all the chemical maintenance to my local pool supply store, "Pinch a Penny." They come out once a week to do all the chemical stuff, I handle the periodic non-chemical maintenance such as vacumming, brushing, skimming etc. They leave a card on the door each time specifying what they had done. 95% of the time it would read "Tabs, algaecide" and periodically "Shock" with the occasional "Test." Does not strike me with confidence that they are paying much attention to the finer details.

Over those 1.5 years, I've had sporadic issues of algae growth and problems with clarity. I've been told on numerous occasions that this has been due to the TDS levels in my pool, though from my own research I am questioning that.

I want to TAKE CHARGE of my pool care, as I feel their maintenance schedule is not adequate and I am hopeful that I can get more consistent results with proper education.

The pool is approx. 16,000 gallons, in-ground, with a separate spa/overflow. It is fed by chlorine tablets, has a cartridge filter, and separate valves to control the intake between the main drain, spa drain, skimmer basket, and vacuum port.

Being in Florida and on the west side of my home, it gets a significant amount of direct sunlight during the summer months with frequent afternoon rain showers. It is not screened in, but I typically do not have much of an issue with debris unless there are high winds.

I have already ordered my TF-100 test kit and will be performing a battery of tests once I receive it. From there I will explore my options and seek counsel from the seemingly fantastic experts on this forum. Not to mention everybody seems so friendly, so that is an added bonus.

Thanks again. More from me soon......

14ui7vk.jpg

I've been reading as much as possible. The pool has been chlorinated with tabs for as long as I've lived there and it was built in 2006, and last I saw from the test results TA was hovering around 100.

I'm VERY keen to see what the TF-100 reveals.

The stabilizer I was referring to was the CYA (which would not surprise me is over 100, but ideally should be around 50). The TA is total alkalinity, which could be around 100 as well, that is a buffer for the pH though and not that important of a parameter usually.

The TF-100 will likely be eye-opening :goodjob:

Lets play a game! Who can come the closest to his CYA level? The winner gets to tell Pinch a Penny to go pound sand for him!

You are going to SO love your pool after we get done with it!

Go ahead and look around for your best bleach/chlorine price so you will be ready when your kit gets here to start taking care of your pool the TFP way!

I LOVE your pool. SO pretty and inviting!

Kim

You've come to the right place :mrgreen: ..... before you know it you will wonder how you ever did it any other way.

One thing that jumps out at me and it could just be the picture but are you sure of the 16K gallons?? It looks like it may be a less?

Thanks for the kind comments and clarification. Slowly getting used to all the acronyms........coming from government contracting work, I tend to accumulate them to the point of oversaturation.

I will post up results as soon as the kit arrives. I'm thinking early next week.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that jumps out at me and it could just be the picture but are you sure of the 16K gallons?? It looks like it may be a less?
That is a VERY good question.

That is what the pool store had on record from the previous owner, though I have a hard time believing that myself. I will try to independently verify this week and see how close I come to that figure.

It is about 4 feet in the shallow end, 7 feet in the deep end, maybe 10 feet across and 25 feet long, not including the spa. PoolMath puts that at just above 10K gallons.......

It really is a great place to really dig in in all things pool.

24 round 52" ag pool 13500 gallons. Hayward micro clear 25 sq ft filter with Hayward powerflo 1.5 pump. Aquabot auto vacuum.
I live in tn

Welcome to TFP Nemesis! Keep reading pool school and it will all come together for you. COngrats on taking control of your pool with the TF100. The test kit is the Mother of all test kits. I wouldn't want to maintain a pool without it!

Nice pool! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.