Is my T-Cell-15 bad, what's best way to buy a new one?

mick1putt

Silver Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
After messing around for a month, with funny numbers from my Aqua Rite control panel...low salt reading around 2000 ppm and cell voltage high >30, and output low 0.0, readings not producing chlorine... I ignorantly kept adding salt :confused:.

Finally took a sample in to the big local pool contractor/supplier and they say salt is over 5000 ppm and cell is almost definitely bad. I can bring it in and they can test it, but they're 90% sure that is the problem. It's a Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 and costs little over $700 for a new one at the local store. They said if I look online I can find it cheaper but they offer 3 year warranty and I'll only get 1 year if I buy it online. Well of course I did look online, and there are many sources for around $430, I'm not sure about the warranty online.

Some pool details: 30,000 gal vinyl lined, built and opened June 2008 (starting 7th year), original cell and controller, I replaced the little resistor/limiter whatever it is, last year. I'm in Raleigh NC and don't winterize, just run pump when temps drop below freezing, so the cell has had more use than normal, although I guess Florida folks run theirs even more so I don't know what normal is.

So here are my questions...Do I need to replace the cell? I kind of hate to take in and use the stores service to check the cell if I'm not going to buy it from them. Is there any good reason not to buy it online and save the $300, that's a BIG difference? Should I replace the controller too, there are some discounts buying both vs. buying separately. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks pool Gurus

Given the low salt reading, if it is not caked up with scale, it likely needs to be replaced.
There are places that sell the cells online with a 3yr warranty too.
Kind of up to you if you think it worth it to replace the entire system. I would not if it is functional.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I would expect from a worn out cell. I agree with the store, it needs to be replaced.

The replacement cells are available on the Internet with either a 3 year warranty (Hayward T-CELL15) or a 1 year warranty (Hayward GLX-CELL-15-W).

Thanks for the help. Is the warranty the only difference between the T-Cell and GLX-Cell? I also see a CompuPool Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 replacement cell and a company that sells "rebuilt" GLX cells they claim are rated for 10,000 hours, these are $360 and $320 respectively. Any more advice before I make the purchase?

I think there are a few threads that discuss those other options, not sure how much feedback we got though.
titaniumcells is another place that has been brought up and I think a few members bought from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.