Pump Basket not filling all the way up

Apr 21, 2013
Kansas City, Mo
I put in my new Kreepy Krauley Suction Side pool cleaner in yesterday for first time and for some reason the pump basket wont fill up all the way when its on. It tells me turn the main drain off but when I do the water level goes down about an inch. Also I have a Variable Speed pool pump and even when I put it on highest rmp it still wont fill all the way up. Is this normal just because it's not pulling in enough water to fill it or something else wrong? And is it okay to run my pump with basket not all the way filled up?

There are two possibilities. Either there is an air leak in the pool cleaner it's self. That is only possible if some portion of the pool cleaner is above water (perhaps the hose). Alternatively, there may be an air leak that only leaks when the suction is high. Running the pool cleaner increases the amount of suction, which can cause marginal seals, such as perhaps the pump strainer basket lid, to leak a little air when they wouldn't at lower air pressure.

Okay I will have to check the hose and lid but it's brand new along with my pool pump. When I open the main drain valve while it's connected it fills all the way up. Also when the cleaner is on and pump not filled all the way up there is no are bubbles coming from return lines.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get that PoolMath in the signature?

I get a similar occurence when I vacuum sometimes. That's not air in the strainer - it's nothing. A vacuum. The proof is opening the air bleed. There's no air in the filter when I'm done vacuuming, so no air could have entered the system.

I'll bet the pump sounds funny when it happens, sort of a hissing swishing noise. It's called cavitation.

Okay yea because I opened the air valve and no air so just had me confussed. As long as it wont hurt the pump and my cleaner is working which it is im fine with it. Will running a pump on higher rpm with one valve closed to much pressure on one pipe or is it fine?

Okay yea because I opened the air valve and no air so just had me confussed. As long as it wont hurt the pump and my cleaner is working which it is im fine with it. Will running a pump on higher rpm with one valve closed to much pressure on one pipe or is it fine?
I'd be wary of doing it for hours at a time. Mine only does it for short periods and only occassionally. If it was me, I'd open the main drain as far as I could while it still gives enough suction for the creepy crawlie to work.

Okay maybe I will just mess with RPM level to see how low i can get it to work the best or try to open main drain just didn't want it to get stuck on main drain. I did try opening the main drain and it didn't work very good. It does have a suction regulator thing that goes on end of hose so I dont know if it what slows the pressure down or what. I will just have to mess with it and see what works best. I was just concerned about the pump not being filled all the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.