Please help me compare these two colors...

teppy

Nov 11, 2007
Louisiana
I have Frontier Deck by Steigmeir. They make a deck renew paint that you can paint over your existing deck with. My deck is just like kool deck, just a different company.
Anyway, I want to go with something darker because of stains mostly. I had the company send me actual samples and I then photographed the two choice outside on the decking. I then pulled it up in Photoshop and 'tried them on'. I can't decide which one I like best. One is called dark sand buff and has more red in it. The other choice is called burly wood with more of a grayish brown tone to it. I would love as many opinions as possible here. Thanks.

Dark Sand Buff
IMG_0006dksandbuff.jpg

Burly Wood
IMG_0006burlywood.jpg

That's a hard call. I like the Dark sand in relation to the water, but I like the Burley wood more in relation to your brick mortar.

I guess, I would go with what would accentuate the water more- so the Dark Sand.

My decking is closer to the second pic, and I often wish it were a little darker to reduce the glare.. so based on those 2 pics, I'd choose the first one.

Of course, the darker one will hold more heat... who knows if its enough to be of concern though. Is heat a problem with your existing deck?

that architecture/materials look familiar, you in Louisiana?

Good luck!

My personal choice would be something with the color of the second with the deeper shade of the first! Like on paint chip cards where it gets darker as you go down. I don't like the dark sand with your bricks, but I agree about the darker shade making the water look good and less glare. So I guess I would choose buffed dark burly sandalwood!! :shock:

The Mermaid Queen said:
My personal choice would be something with the color of the second with the deeper shade of the first! Like on paint chip cards where it gets darker as you go down. I don't like the dark sand with your bricks, but I agree about the darker shade making the water look good and less glare. So I guess I would choose buffed dark burly sandalwood!! :shock:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ditto, my thoughts exactly!

teppy said:
One is called dark sand buff and has more red in it. The other choice is called burly wood with more of a grayish brown tone to it. I would love as many opinions as possible here. Thanks.

Funny how people read color differently. Maybe I'm color-challenged but they both look peach toned to me. Out of the two, I like the darker tone best but think a truer gray would suit your pool/hardscape well. Like the tones in the wood fence you have :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the lighter one.. for me it blends in with the existing surroundings a little better. I'm biased because I had a similar choice and while I love the tone of the darker shade, it appeared to be ..I don't know..more "manufactured" than the lighter tone..

Dark sand buff! I concur. We have a color closer to your burley wood color and BOY is it BRIGHT! I wish we would have darked it down a few shades (even here in sunny hot Houston) because you can't even look out the window without sunglasses on! Don't get me wrong, we love it!, just an after the fact thought, and possibly good advice for you.

teppy said:
Its starting to get interesting....keep the opinions coming. :wave:

Yes, stevenbrla, I am in LA, just northwest of Baton Rouge. Styles really are a regional thing aren't they?

Teppy,

I am also in the BR area. We live about 10 miles East of BR in Denham.

I think out of these 2 choices, I like the darker one too (dark sand buff). I think it sets off the pool and the grout in the brick work better. However, I am not sure what colors you have on your house and house trim. It looks like in the background there are some bricks and some painted brick that would match either color deck, but how bout the rest of the house?

Also, for me personally,,, like someone else mentioned, I might like a little more grayish tone of the darker one. Of course, we have grayish trim on our house.

Good luck on your choice......

DMAN

thanks so very much to everyone who gave their opinion. I really like both colors, but had my favorite from the start. It relly helped knowing that most people liked my first choice also. I ordered the dark sand buff deck renew today. I should have it soon. I will post photos of it when its all done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.