Pump problem

May 12, 2014
Pasco, WA
I was setting up my pool tonight and fired up the pump and it was running great. I wasn't paying attention and I leaned up against the skimmer blocking water flow to the pump. It sucked in a bunch of air and shut down before I could shut it off. I tried to get water back into the pump basket but now whenever I turn it on it's a little louder then it was before and after thirty seconds the breaker trips.

This is a brand new Hayward pump.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Blocking water for a few seconds would not have done any damage to the pump.
Unless you have a SVRS it should not have shut down either. The only reason for it to shut down would be due to overheating and that would take running without water for a longer time than a temporary blocking of the skimmer while swimming.

Take the pump lid off, fill the pot with water, put the lid back on and try again. Make sure the pump has had time to cool off first.

I tried that except I didn't really give it time to cool down. My plan is to try again in the morning.

A pump i had on an older pool had an air release valve on the filter that I could open to let trapped air out when things like this happened. I don't see one anywhere on this pump/filter though.

Blocking water for a few seconds would not have done any damage to the pump.
Unless you have a SVRS it should not have shut down either. The only reason for it to shut down would be due to overheating and that would take running without water for a longer time than a temporary blocking of the skimmer while swimming.

It seemed strange to me that it shut down. Not really sure what happened. But it was only five or so seconds that the skimmer was blocked. Hopefully problem will be solved in the morning.

Can you be more specific about exactly which pump and filter you have?
If your sand filter has the multivalve on the top, there is not air release valve. The air will flow out to the pool.

I said it was a Hayward but I was wrong, it's a waterway.

Here's the pump...
datatuvy.jpg

Here's the filter....
ta8y3amy.jpg

And here's the multiport for good measure...
esa7e9aq.jpg

I just tried it again. Pump turns on but is a bit noisy. Water is flowing unto pool through return jet. Breaker trips after about ten seconds.

A couple other thoughts I had...

I'm not hooked up to a dedicated outlet yet, pump is running off of an extension cord. Electrician is coming tomorrow to set it up.

I blocked the skimmer because I was focused on dumping the bleach into the skimmer.

Could either of those things be causing my problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this a possibility... The pump needs to run hard for a few minutes to clear out the air, but after ten seconds of running hard the breaker trips, never giving the pump enough time to clear out.

If that's what's happening then the dedicated outlet should solve the problem.

Hers an update. My electrician friend came over and quickly diagnosed that we were just drawing too much power from the 15 amp circuit (the pump draws 12 amps). So we unplugged everything on the circuit and the pump ran a little longer but still flipped the breaker.

So then we noticed that there was a set of outlets in my basement that were on a 20 amp circuit that absolutely nothing is plugged in to. So we ran the extension cord through the window and plugged it in down there.

Instantly the pump sounded and ran much better. It's currently running strong! Hopefully that will work for a little bit until my buddy has time to come back and setup a dedicated outlet.

So for now things are working great!

Hers an update. My electrician friend came over and quickly diagnosed that we were just drawing too much power from the 15 amp circuit (the pump draws 12 amps). So we unplugged everything on the circuit and the pump ran a little longer but still flipped the breaker.

So then we noticed that there was a set of outlets in my basement that were on a 20 amp circuit that absolutely nothing is plugged in to. So we ran the extension cord through the window and plugged it in down there.

Instantly the pump sounded and ran much better. It's currently running strong! Hopefully that will work for a little bit until my buddy has time to come back and setup a dedicated outlet.

So for now things are working great!

As stated before, the extension cord will cause a voltage drop which will make it draw more amps. You said it trips a 15 amp breaker when it's the only thing plugged in, and the motor "draws" 12 amps. I think you meant to say it is "rated" at 12 amps, because it is drawing over 15. Your motor's life expectancy will be reduced in this setup. It may actually go out quickly if you present a prolonged high-flow condition such as draining your pool through waste. The windings on your motor have a limit on how much current they can handle before getting hot enough to melt the coating. While it may be thermally protected, the protection may not handle a quick spike caused by over-current. Anyways, that's my two cents, enjoy your pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.