I have a 26,000 gallon above ground pool in southeastern Indiana. When I opened the pool it was green but now it is crystal clear and the pH and alkalinity are balanced. After clearing up the water I rechecked the CYA level and it was 80. (I have not added any conditioner to it yet this year).My local pool supply store is telling me that I need to add conditioner every year to the pool. Is this true if my CYA level is already 80? And is it normal for pool water to still have some conditioner in it after a long cold winter? Thanks for any input.

I have a 26,000 gallon above ground pool in southeastern Indiana. When I opened the pool it was green but now it is crystal clear and the pH and alkalinity are balanced. After clearing up the water I rechecked the CYA level and it was 80. (I have not added any conditioner to it yet this year).My local pool supply store is telling me that I need to add conditioner every year to the pool. Is this true if my CYA level is already 80? And is it normal for pool water to still have some conditioner in it after a long cold winter? Thanks for any input.
Odds are, you did add conditioner if you used any powdered chlorine shock or pucks.

You do not have to add more. You're already high. And many people have whatever CYa they had when they closed still present when they open, minus whatever got diluted by rain or snow.

If your CYA level is 80 you don't need to add anymore. Your actually on the high side unless you have an SWG. CYA level for a non SWG pool is in the 30-50 ppm range. For a SWG pool the CYA level is 70-80 ppm. May I ask what test kit you are using ?
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig it will help us help you better. ?

You definitely do not have to add anything to your pool that your pool does not need. My pool still had CYA in it from last year. I have not added any this year and it's 40ppm CYA right now. It's actually a little lower since it's been raining and I drained some water off the pool today. Don't let a pool store bully you. You will do much better here at TFP reading Pool School and taking control of your pool and purchasing your own reliable test kit like the TF100 if you have not already done so. If you own a pool, you should own a good test kit. Depending on the pool stores for testing leaves you wide open to them forcing chemicals on you that your pool does not need. Then the pool gets messed up and they tell you to drain, you refill and it starts all over again. Add this, add that, filter and pour this...

]I have a CYA level of 100. I've been fighting Algae this summer and I'm sure that the high CYA level is why. At the end of the season I plan on emptying out some water. It is a 26,000 gallon pool. #1: Can you tell me how much I should drain out? #2 And, how can I prevent the CYA level from getting that high again since my automatic chlorinator is Trichlor? The pool store sold me conditioner to put in the pool which I did put in in 2012 and 2013 but knew not to put any in this year, but my CYA is still 100. According to the charts on this site, I need to shock my pool to a FC of 39 to kill algae and 57 for mustard algae. I'm afraid to shock my pool to FC level of 39, let alone 57! #3 Will this not hurt things? And I know my target FC should be 12. #4 Is it safe to swim with a FC of 12? #5 With a CYA level of 100, what FC level is safe to swim in? I have no CC. pH 7.5 and Alk 92. I use the TF 100 testing kit. My water is currently crystal clear but when I brush certain parts of it, I can see some yellow/green powdery stuff. I will be doing the OCLT tonight to see how I'm doing. I have a pool party planned this weekend!!
Thanks! I'm just trying to get through this swim season, will empty out pool when I close it this fall and start fresh next spring. Just would like some guidance until I get there! Sorry for all the questions but thanks so much for this wonderful site!

Redo the CYA test using the Extended Test Kit Directions (specifically step 9). If you are measuring 100 it could really be much higher than that. Once you have an accurate reading we can help with how much to drain.

To avoid this happening again, you have to stop using stabilized chlorine products (trichlor tabs and dichlor shock).

It is safe to swim at FC levels below shock level based on CYA level. Do not swim while you are SLAMing.

I did do the extended test kit directions and still got CYA of 100. I have an automatic AquaSmart chlorinator that uses Trichlor. So are you saying not to use the Aqua Smart system and just use liquid bleach to keep my FC at the right level? And it is safe to swim with FC of 39 since CYA is 100? Pool store said not to swim at anything above FC 10 so just want to clarify. Having people over to swim and don't want to hurt them. My FC should be down by then but want to be safe. Thanks.

Yes, you have to stop using dichlor & trichlor if you want to get the CYA under control.

Bleach is your friend

Pool School will teach you how

Yes, it is safe to swim up to shock level

I did do the extended test kit directions and still got CYA of 100.
Just to be sure, you diluted your sample and got 50, and multiplied by 2 to get 100? If you diluted and got 100, that is really 200 and maybe higher.

I have an automatic AquaSmart chlorinator that uses Trichlor. So are you saying not to use the Aqua Smart system and just use liquid bleach to keep my FC at the right level?
Unfortunately yes. If you keep using tabs you will keep raising your CYA and be back where you are now. If you like to make it more automated there are products to add bleach (stenner pumps, liquidator) or SWG's are options.

And it is safe to swim with FC of 39 since CYA is 100? Pool store said not to swim at anything above FC 10 so just want to clarify. Having people over to swim and don't want to hurt them. My FC should be down by then but want to be safe. Thanks.
Yes. FC below 39 is safe with CYA of 100. If you want to get deeper into this check out Chem Geek's HOCL Chart which shows effective chlorine at different CYA levels.

Yes, I diluted the sample, got 50 and multiplied by 2. But thanks for making sure I did it right. I can't tell you how many things I've printed off of this site to help me along the way. AND...not using the aqua Smart system is going to save me a ton of money so I'll be looking forward to that next year. Just makes me nervous not having chlorine continually and automatically being added to the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and so how much of my pool water do I need to empty out to get my CYA at the recommended level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Recommended range is 30-50ppm, you have 100ppm ... so you need to replace at least 50% of the water.

If you want to automatically be adding chlorine, you could either get the Liquidator or a Stenner pump for liquid chlorine. Or go with a SWG.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Once you dial everything in, you'll figure out the needs of your pool and will know how much to add on a daily basis. Instead of filling the chlorinator, you'll just be adding a little bleach. I don't live too far from you and it has not been the ideal pool season. I only had 3 days in July at 90 or above and no 90 days so far this month. Crazy.

thanks. I will be trying that next year. I will save so much money. And yes, not a good summer for swimming. I sit by the pool more than IN the pool.

I was testing my TA today with the TF 100 kit and since my FC is so high the color changed to yellow but never red. Is my TA when the color changed to yellow?

and I have a really stupid question......how do you start a new Post/Thread?
Thanks.

and I have a really stupid question......how do you start a new Post/Thread?
Thanks.
Not stupid, when you are in a forum there is a button at the top that says + Post New Thread. But, if you are commenting on you current issues please keep it all in this thread so folks have the history in front of them when they answer.

Upper left, above the list of threads or posts ... blue button.
If you are in a thread, it will say "+ Reply to Thread"
If you are in a sub-forum looking at a list of threads, it will say "+ Post New Thread"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.