plumbing diagram help

May 13, 2014
Bentonville ar
Hi all. New to the forum. Pretty sure I will be here a lot ;). Please let me know if I am posting this in the right place.

I am installing a fiberglass pool with a built in small spillover spa. I will be using:

Pentair variable speed 3 hp pump (011018,
Pentair clean & clear 320 sq ft. cartridge filter (160340)
Easy touch controller (automation) with IC20 Saltwater Chlorinator bundle and wireless remote.(520544)
and a small electric heater for the spa only.
(haven't decided on which one yet. recommendations?)

I want to plumb it and use actuators so that I can lower the level in the spa to not spill over and engage heater for separate use and heating of spa with easy touch automation.

This is all fairly new to me. Is there a PLUMBING DIAGRAM available to help me plumb for this configuration with shared equipment?

Will I need more than the 2 actuators that come with the easy touch system to achieve this?

It is my understanding that with automation you don't need a spa make-up valve? Read this somewhere on this site.

I found this diagram http://www.poolcenter.com/medias/sys_master/ha4/hbf/8806290554910/jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg2.jpg

would all I have to do is relocate the heater to the spa side of the return actuator and eliminate the make-up valve (was told you don't need makeup valve with automation?) or am I missing the point of what I am trying to achieve here?

All help appreciated..

In normal pool mode operation you are going to likely want some spill over from the spa into the pool ... this will keep the chemistry balanced. The spillover can be done with a spa make-up valve or just making the return 3-way not close the spa all the way.

When you run in spa mode, you would need to turn 2 valves (one suction and one return) so that they are only pulling and returning to the spa. This is also when you would turn the heater on. It is more common than not to have the heater after the pump before the return valves (just like in the link you provided). This would give you option to running the heater for the pool, but you would not have to do so. The automation would just be setup such that when you select spa mode, the 2 valves would turn the and the heater would turn on.

Also, the SWG would need to be placed after the heater if it is in the main plumbing loop.

Everything you seem to be describing sounds like the normal pool/spa setup, unless I am missing something.

That diagram is the classic way to plumb a shared equipment pool. These days it is common to remove the spa makeup line (valve & check valve). The automation system has three modes it can be in: pool only, pool with spillover, and spa only, all done with just the two automated valves.

There is no reason to move the heater. The position in the diagram is the normal position and there is no advantage to moving it. The default position gives you the option of heating the pool, which is good to have, even if you don't actually every use it.

"Pool with spillover" for me implies that I'm getting a water feature with my elevated spa + normal pool circulation. How can that be done without a spa make-up valve? Don't think that can be done with just one return valve, something to consider. I recommend the "classic way" as described. Cheers.

finding.nemo, A "pool with spillover" is by far the most common integrated pool/spa setup. A pool & spa right next to each other, sharing equipment, and with a small waterfall coming off the spa and into the pool. Such a setup can be controlled with 2 three way valves, one for suction and one for the returns. A spa make-up valve is optional, and is becoming less common these days, You can easily get the same effect by configuring the return actuator so it never closes off the spa return completely.

"Pool with spillover" for me implies that I'm getting a water feature with my elevated spa + normal pool circulation. How can that be done without a spa make-up valve? Don't think that can be done with just one return valve, something to consider. I recommend the "classic way" as described. Cheers.
I don't have a makeup valve. That's the beauty of Jandy three-ways; you can adjust the balance between two outlets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.