My Finished Grill Island

G$

Jul 7, 2008
I started this process, literally years ago. I finished this weekend.

Since the BBQ Galore forum seems gone forever, I thought I'd post some pictures. I have more of folks are interested.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,252
G$

Nice island and pool. Thanks for sharing your pics and experience.

BBQG was awesome for those who wanted to build their own BBQ islands. Too bad they're gone. As more people like G$ share, this site will grow to be like the old BBQG.

For those of you thinking about starting a project like this, Dr. Dave sells plans on his web site. Although I have not purchased a set, many from the old site had nothing but good things to say about them. Also his advice here is top notch and used to be very timely. I can only imagine that he spends far less time here than he used to spend there.

cobra46 said:
G$

Nice island and pool. Thanks for sharing your pics and experience.

BBQG was awesome for those who wanted to build their own BBQ islands. Too bad their gone. As more people like G$ share, this site will grow to be like the old BBQG.

For those of you thinking about starting a project like this, Dr. Dave sells plans on his web site. Although I have not purchased a set, many from the old site had nothing but good things to say about them. Also his advice here is top notch and used to be very timely. I can only imagine that he spends far less time here than he used to spend there.

Thanks cobra46. My constructiuon methodology and materials was very similar to what DrDave advised, although I did not need plans: I just sketched out what I thought it would take and made a couple minor changes as I went.

I used steel studs and tracks for the framing - the kind available at Lowes and Home Depot. I had never worked with steel studs before, and there was a learning curve to it, but anyone could do it. I used stud screws and rivets just to try both ways. If I had it to do over again, I would rivet the whole thing, but either way works.

When you start, the studs feel flimsy. The more you put together, the stronger it gets. The trick is keeping everything level and square. To cut the studs, I used an abrasive chop saw, and/or heavy duty meatal snips.

I had an electrician move my pool light box and receptacle, and chain out more receptacle outlets for me.

After framing with the steel, I skinned it with HardiBacker cement backer board by securing the backerboard to the studs with 'Backer-on' screws. I then used fiberglass tape and thinset on the seems and corners. Tile came next.

I had a stucco person do the stucco so that it matched my house. He applied 2 thin coats right over the backer board - no lathe. I did apply cement glue to the backer board prior to stucco to assist in adhesion.

EVERYTHING I needed to know I learned searching on line, especially the old BBQ Galore site. I also consulted a builders doc called the "steel framing guide" whichyou can find in .pdf form.

Again, I did not use pre made plans. I made a fairly detailed sketch and started construction. I made modifications as I went, but they were minor and few. Before I started, I knew all my dimmensions for fixtures, doors, etc., and I knew where I wanted it to fit.

Good job with the vents!!!

You have my seal of approval! Nice to see some photos here.

I am going to make one more attempt at BBQG, this time I'm going all the way to the CEO for answers. In the meantime thanks to TFP for hosting us!

DrDave said:
Good job with the vents!!!

I used standard (CHEAP!) soffet vents with mesh screens to close of my vent holes (see pic attached with the vents in place). They look pretty good, and are easy. My vents are much larger than what is recommended by the manufacturer. I figured, I am going to have vents, why not make sure they do the job!

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,019
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.