Help understanding Pentair Automation options as installer input dos't make sense!!

Apr 23, 2014
California
Hello and thanks for assisting as this is my first post on this forum.
We are currently in the midst of our pool/spa build. The original plan was to have a basic pool that was controlled by a hardwired control in the home only.
Despite best intentions, the project has grown substantially. We now have a huge spa, several water features including a trickle wall off the spa, 3 cascades, multiple led lights, multiple led landscape lights, and 2 bubblers. To account for these and the needs of the pool we have upgraded to an Easytouch * with intellichlor control. planning on upgrading to some form of remote control in addition to the hard wired control. Some features are supplied by a single variable output pump with "valves" to control flow to the specific feature and I am assuming I will need some form of actuator here. My question is this, I want to control the pool and spa with my iPhone and iPad. I would like to be able to switch between water features that are fed by a single pump, set temperatures, turn on items remotely, coordinate lights and functions in macros, etc.. My installer is saying that the easiest way to go is to NOT use the iPhone integration and instead to use the easy touch wireless remote. I am not understanding why this is so and do not want to pay twice or get something I do not need. I want a robust tablet control from day 1. I am hoping you can assist and talk me through what items I would need to purchase based on my pool and spa so that I can direct the installer intelligently and not pay for things that I do not need or want Please do advise asap as we are approaching the decision point rapidly. Many thanks in advance. I can provide additional information as needed and how that the the experience you all have will prevent me from making a mistake that costs me in the long run. Many thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

For macros you need to have an IntelliTouch system. The EasyTouch does not include macros.

iPad/Android tablet control of an EasyTouch system means getting ScreenLogic, which is both software and a hardware adapter. ScreenLogic is reasonably full featured, though I'm not completely certain if it can do everything the remote can do or not. Several people around here use ScreenLogic, perhaps one of them will speak up.

Most pool builders probably don't have the knowledge yet about items such as Autelis or other similar products. I would suggest that if you want a product like this to install it yourself after the pool builder is done. Less confusing for the PB and they will feel confident that when they leave it's all working as it should. Just my .02.

Call Pentair and they will assist you in figuring out what you need and what part numbers that it requires then you call give them to your builder to set up. You will need to upgrade to intellitouch to get everything you want in functions.

I installed the Pentair ScreenLogic2 "brick" (as they refer to it) and it was a fairly easy install. This enabled our pool and spa to gain iphone/ipad access via their ScreenLogic app available in the iTunes store. They also make an android app and a desktop program for both MAC and PC.
The entire iphone/ipad/computer connection with ScreenLogic2 is not perfect but once you get the brick connected to your system it seems to work ok. FYI, I recently had my brick replaced under warranty.
But, its very nice to be able to adjust most of the pools controls from a mobile device and that was our main goal, so overall, we are happy with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.