Getting started

May 13, 2014
Texas
Ok I'm not a pool guy. I have had an underground pool for two years and have been fighting it everyday. My uncle turned me on to this site and told me to get a good test kit first. If ordered one and it should be here tomorrow My pool of course is green because I wanted to start right instead of buying a bunch of useless chemicals from the local pool shop. Keep in mind I live out in the country. I though by asking people who have had success with there's and have the best way of doing this. Lets just say I have no chemicals anymore I would like to stock all the chemicals I would need. When I get the test results I will post them as well. But for now a list of chemicals would be great. Thanks so much

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Bit of a chicken and egg thing here ... we can not give you recommendations on what chemicals to buy until you give us test results.

What test kit did you order?

You will certainly need bleach, but that is all we know for now.

You will need to go through the SLAM Process so read up on that and these:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Bit of a chicken and egg thing here ... we can not give you recommendations on what chemicals to buy until you give us test results.

What test kit did you order?

You will certainly need bleach, but that is all we know for now.

You will need to go through the SLAM Process so read up on that and these:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Ok I'll get on top of that. I ordered I think it was to T-100. I'll post and fill out rest of profile once I get text results. Thank you much

Welcome and congrats on taking control of your pool by buying a great test kit! You're going to wonder how you got through without it for so long! Read pool school while you wait for your kit. Your pool won't get any greener! :lol: So far, the only thing I suggest you buy is unscented bleach and keep it in a cool dark place.

If you do the reading and learning, we can help with questions and you'll be off to enjoying a TFP!

Ok not only am I bad with pools I will have to learn to use this site as well. So far the remarks are great and well appriciated Ok got the test results from the TF- 100
Daily test-
PH - 8.2
Chlorine - 0

Weekly
Chlorine 0
CC -1.5
Calcium - 200 ppm
TA - 80
CYA - 20
My best calculation guess is around 25,000 gallons it is a gunite pool and the temp is about 70 degrees. The degrees doesn't sound right but that's what it reads. I'm reading up on the school as well. When u say bleach you mean like at the super market?

Yes plain old bleach (usually 8.25% strength) which is the same as liquid chlorine sold in other places which is a little stronger at 10% or 12.5%.

Based on those results, you need to lower the pH to the lower 7s and then SLAM away.
You will eventually want to bump up the CYA a bit as well.

When you get some down time, click on Pool School (top right of every page) and just look around. You'll get used to the site the more you frequent. If you can't find something, just ask and we can help!

OK im starting to get the feel of what i need to do by reading up on things in the pool school the site is great and the help is fantastic. Two more questions before i start the slam process tomorrow. With a pool of 25,000 gallons how many gallons of liquid bleach would i start with. My chlorine is 0 and how many gallons of acid should i use to start bringing my PH down. my PH is 8.2. I have never used liquid bleach to do this so its new to me and i didnt see any mention of this in the pool school. Oh and where do you get DE at for your sand filter? I have never heard of that. Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, now your next task is to learn to use PoolMath :D
It will do the calculation for you. You set the pool volume and the NOW column based on your test results and then set your desired levels in the TARGET column (do not use the defaults). And it will tell you what would need to be added.

pool DE is available at most large hardware stores or pool stores. Walmart often has smaller quantities ... you will not need much for occasional supplementation in a sand filter.