Solutions to floating liner/ high water table.

May 13, 2014
United States
I have a IG 30,000 gallon salt water pool that was installed less than a year ago, I live outside of the Detroit area. With the amount of rain last year, and snow this year I've had numerous issues with the liner floating. I didn't know what this was at first until the builder made me aware of it. They came out and pumped it out for free the first few times then charged me for it the next few times. Before laying the sod in the backyard i had some drainage tiles installed left and in front of the pool. This seemed to help temporarily and before we closed it in Oct we had to pump it again. We opened it two weeks ago and obviously had to pump it again, and after the past few down pours it is floating again. The ground water even drowned all of the landscaping on the right and backside of the pool. I'm reading more on wellpoints, or sump pumps outside, or where the builders install drains around the pool during construction. My builder didn't make me aware of any of these options or warn me this might happen. The finished product looks great but the infrastructure is causing me headaches. I don't think I should have to pop the liner and pump out the water everytime it rains. THe other builders I've spoke with asked what backfill was used, I'm 99 percent sure they just used the clay/dirt they pulled out to backfill and every other builder said "oh no"! The actual pool maker said they recommend gravel or sand. Before doing the flor of the pool the deep end had waist high sanding water that had to be pumped out, I think this should of given them warning of my issue.
I'm basically looking for a solution to stop the floating liner that doesn't consist of tearing up the stamped concrete that was poured last yr. Also everyone else is saying this is a builder issue and they should fix it or get an attorney involved???
Thanks for your help

Welcome to TFP!

I'm sorry you're experiencing a floating liner. You need to install a well point. I don't know if you could get the builder to do this but you could DIY if you so choose. It would stop the liner from floating by pumping the water out before the liner actually starts to float. It's usually a hole dug around the deep end of the pool. I'm not 100% sure on how it's done but I know once the hole is dug, gravel is added and a sump pump is lowered into the hole to pump the water out until dry. Some add a PVC pipe into the hole and the pump into the pipe. You'll pump it out every time the hole fills with water.

Casey - thanks, I've talked with a company about a well point and someone from my city dept today. They said if it is all clay the well point might not work. I was quoted 700-800 to come out and drill to see if they hit water. It's a lot of money to see if it might work. Also, I'm not sure what equipment is needed to install it. I'd hate to destroy all of the new sod, landscaping, stamped concrete, but if that's what it take I might have to make that call.

I know you don't want to rip the sod and yard up but I'd hate to see the new pool get throttled over ground water.

In my opinion this should be fixable and probably would not cost as much as an attorney. I backfilled my walls with the dirt that I excavated from my pool and have had no problems, however I don't think I have a high water table. I do not understand how sand or gravel backfill would help as water would follow the path of least resistance(sand/gravel) and creep toward the pool. In any event most pool decks extend past the excavated area of the pool walls to a point the water coming off the deck would be less likely to make its way to the backside of the pool walls. If this were my problem I would explore digging about a 1 to 1-1/2 foot trench around the pool and filling it with rock and attach a sump pump to this trench to pump the water away. I have no idea as to what depth would be adequate. This trench would cause a path of least resistance for the water to flow to the pump. In my opinion this could be done outside the perimeter of the deck and still function well. House basements are water proofed in a similar manner, (French drain). Sorry you are having this problem, my brother in-law had the same thing happen to him but rather than fix it he just moved.

Thanks for the replies. Today I went out and bought a 212cc water pump from Harbor Freight - great deal! Can't wait to get the water pumped out from behind the liner. Temporary fix until I decide which way I'll go to permanently try to solve the issue (drainage tiles or wellpoint).

From my understanding if it was back filled with sand or gravel it would allow the water to travel or flow away from the the pool instead of sitting in the ground then coming in through the wall or floor of the pool. If that was the case then the water would travel below our basement to the sump pump there and be pumped out???? Does that make sense? I've tried to post pics but it says unable or denied - they may be too large to upload.
Since pumping the water from behind the liner last Thursday (pump ran for two hrs) we've had one day of slight rain and had to pump again yesterday for about 40 minutes. The pool installer admitted they back filled with the same clay they excavated out. When I asked if this was their issue she said she would have someone else get back to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.