Vacuum Port Question

Jul 2, 2008
San Diego, CA
My wife and I just purchased a home with an IG gunite pool and this is my first post. The pool has a vacuum port located in the center of the long edge for the Hayward Navigator to plug into. One thing that I have noticed is that when I unplug the vacuum hose from the port and the lid on the port closes the pump gets much louder. I have also noticed that there is much better flow from waterfall when the Navigator is hooked up. I have already verified that the skimmer is working and pulling in water. My question is am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Also is there something that I can plug into the port when the hose is not in place to maintain the higher flow?

Thanks,

Derek

You probably have valves that let you adjust the flow from various sources. I expect that they are currently set to get most of the flow from the vacuum port. I expect you can adjust them to open up the skimmer more and get full flow even with the vacuum port closed.

JasonLion said:
You probably have valves that let you adjust the flow from various sources. I expect that they are currently set to get most of the flow from the vacuum port. I expect you can adjust them to open up the skimmer more and get full flow even with the vacuum port closed.

I found the valve and you were correct. One quick turn and the pump was no longer starving for water with the vacuum unplugged.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.