Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum Port Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum Port Question

My wife and I just purchased a home with an IG gunite pool and this is my first post. The pool has a vacuum port located in the center of the long edge for the Hayward Navigator to plug into. One thing that I have noticed is that when I unplug the vacuum hose from the port and the lid on the port closes the pump gets much louder. I have also noticed that there is much better flow from waterfall when the Navigator is hooked up. I have already verified that the skimmer is working and pulling in water. My question is am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Also is there something that I can plug into the port when the hose is not in place to maintain the higher flow?

Thanks,

Derek
    13,000 gallon inground gunite pool/spa. 2hp Whisperflow Pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Nature Soft SWG, Waterfall, Hayward Navigator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum Port Question

You probably have valves that let you adjust the flow from various sources. I expect that they are currently set to get most of the flow from the vacuum port. I expect you can adjust them to open up the skimmer more and get full flow even with the vacuum port closed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vacuum Port Question

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You probably have valves that let you adjust the flow from various sources. I expect that they are currently set to get most of the flow from the vacuum port. I expect you can adjust them to open up the skimmer more and get full flow even with the vacuum port closed.
    I found the valve and you were correct. One quick turn and the pump was no longer starving for water with the vacuum unplugged.

Thanks
    13,000 gallon inground gunite pool/spa. 2hp Whisperflow Pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Nature Soft SWG, Waterfall, Hayward Navigator.