DIY Pool Coping Replacement

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
I am DIY'er and was trying to fiqure out what is required in replacing the coping of my pool. Right now I have the white PVC type coping and about three foot of concrete that is old and needs to be replaced. Here is a picture of my pool.

IMG_5369.jpg

Could anyone walk me through the steps I would need to take to pull out the concrete and install new concrete cantilevered coping? I am thinking my pool is very similar to the one in the following link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 230.html?5

The part that confuses me a bit is that I am guessing that the PVC coping and platform are all one piece. If I covert this to a cantilevered coping would I pull out the entire PVC and platform piece and replace it with a different coping, then pour the concrete right on top? It's a little hard to describe, but hopefully someone on here knows what I am referring to. I would like to covert my coping to something like in the following link.

http://baltz-concrete.com/component/opt ... temId,316/

I was also wondering if this could be done without replacing the liner? My guess is that I will have to do this when I replace my liner, but just checking.

Thanks,

Riles

Riles_J said:
I am DIY'er and was trying to fiqure out what is required in replacing the coping of my pool. Right now I have the white PVC type coping and about three foot of concrete that is old and needs to be replaced. Here is a picture of my pool.

Hey Riles, how're things going other than a deck you want to replace?

IMG_5369.jpg

Could anyone walk me through the steps I would need to take to pull out the concrete and install new concrete cantilevered coping? I am thinking my pool is very similar to the one in the following link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 230.html?5

The part that confuses me a bit is that I am guessing that the PVC coping and platform are all one piece. If I covert this to a cantilevered coping would I pull out the entire PVC and platform piece and replace it with a different coping, then pour the concrete right on top? It's a little hard to describe, but hopefully someone on here knows what I am referring to. I would like to covert my coping to something like in the following link.

I'm not sure what you mean by platform :scratch: The coping is secured to the top of the wall panels and the concrete is poured right up to and into it - the pic showed the aluminum coping without the crete - it's a good thing you want to loose the pvc coping, cause it probably wouldn't survive the removal of the deck. You've got the idea, you'll be changing the existing coping to cantilever coping - basically all that is is track to attach the liner bead to, though some deck guys use one with 2 tracks, 1 for the bead and 1 for the cantilever form

http://baltz-concrete.com/component/opt ... temId,316/

I was also wondering if this could be done without replacing the liner? My guess is that I will have to do this when I replace my liner, but just checking.

You could possibly get away with replacing 1 section of the old coping at a time and untucking and retucking the liner in as you go - it'd be a little more work but is certainly doable - the thing I don't trust about trying it this way is the cantilever form and keeping the concrete out of the pool, I think you'll have better success if you do the coping, liner and deck all at once.

Thanks,

Riles

I don't know if you plan on pouring the new deck yourself - the rest of it it certainly a DIY project and I can walk you through it 8)

Can't give you much feedback, other than be really sure you want the cantilevered decking.

I looked into it last year, and heard nothing but problems from people who had it.

Waste,

I was thinking the type of coping I have now consisted of one piece (liner track and whatever that curved section that you pour concrete up to). If I were to use something like those Stegmeier forms, I guess I would remove the existing liner track/pvc coping and install and new liner track, correct? Any thoughts on the types of liner tracks out there? Then I guess I could just attach the forms via the liner track and pour.

Rob,

What sort of issues have you heard of with regards to the cantilevered coping. I am not sold on that type, I just know I want to get away from the PVC coping and don't want a similar aluminum one either. I think I could live with a non-cantilevered concrete pour.

Thanks for the assistance.

Riles

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.