Waste setting on Multi-valve port

p89898

Sep 30, 2012
I have a DE filter with a separation tank and no dedicated waste pipe. If I want to vacuum the pool what setting should I put the multi-port valve to? Which pipe can I use for the waste outlet?

Welcome to TFP!

Most people vacuum on the standard filter setting nearly all the time. If you have a particularly large amount of debris, it is occasionally worth vacuuming straight to waste, but that is rare.

The multi-port valve should have a waste setting, which will cause water to go straight to the waste port on the valve. Many people use a flexible hose that they keep coiled or rolled up connected to that port when vacuuming to waste.

The original installers never indicated where to attach a hose. There is a capped off pipe that extends off the pipe that leads to the separation tank. Is that where the waste hose should be attached?

The waste setting would come out of the same port on the multi-valve as the backwash setting. So if you set to waste, it will likely be directed right into your separation tank skipping the filter.

You could add a 3-way valve between the filter and separation take that would allow you to bypass the filter and send water out to waste instead of into the separation tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.